Air fryers are appliances that circulate hot air around food to cook and crisp it with very little use of oil. This makes them a healthy yet still tasty alternative to deep fryers, allowing you to cook and enjoy meals with fewer calories and less fat.
Although safe, there are some safety risks with air fryers. Take caution when removing the oil drip tray, as it can cause severe burns if you are not careful. Also, avoid touching the food basket once the fryer heats up.
Best Air Fryers
1. Secura Air Fryer XL
The Secura Air Fryer XL is our number 1 pick and one of the largest non-stick fryers on the market at 5.3 quarts. This fryer can also roast, bake, grill, and reheat food in as little as 3 minutes. It’s fast and energy efficient, with less mess thanks to the convection technology that moves air through quickly.
With controls that adjust the temperature from 180 to 400 degrees and a 60 minute timer with automatic shut-off alerts, this machine is very user friendly. The exterior is also made from smudge-resistant material and the pan and the basket are both easy to remove and safe for dishwashers, making this easy to clean. For these reasons, it’s our top pick.
2. Cosori Air Fryer
The Cosori air fryer is 5.8 quarts, with a 1700 watt electric fryer that has an LED digital touchscreen that includes 11 different presets. The presets include seafood, poultry, steak, bacon, shrimp, french fries, veggies, frozen foods, root veggies, desserts, and bread. The basket is easy to remove, is non-stick and safe to put in the dishwasher. The fryer is also PFOA free and BPA free.
One of the great features on this fryer is a reminder to shake the basket to get a more even cook. It’s compliant with FDA regulations and has a temperature range of 170 to 400 degrees.
3. Philips Kitchen Appliances TurboStar Technology Airfryer HD 9641/96
According to Euromonitor International, this is the world’s #1 low fat air fryer brand and has sold over 7 million units sold globally. It uses Turbo Star technology and comes with 5 presets that cook 50% more evenly than most other methods. You can also grill, bake, and roast a lot of great dishes with a single click. It also comes with a keep warm option that works up to 30 minutes after you cook.
The basket is quick and easy to clean and the handle is removable, so you can quickly switch between your accessories. It also comes with a non-stick drawer that is removable and dishwasher safe.
4. Ninja Air Fryer AF 101
The Ninja Air Fryer AF 101 uses up to 75% less fat than traditional frying methods and has a huge temperature range, going from 105 to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. The basket is 4 quarts and can fit 2 pounds of French fries. The Ninja Air Fryer AF 101 can also dehydrate foods, creating fun, homemade snacks.
All of the parts are dishwasher safe and the ceramic, non-stick basket, crisper plate and multi-layer rack are easy to clean. The one touch control panel allows you to pick between 4 programmable cooking options.
5. Go Wise USA GW 22731 5.8 Quart Air Fryer
The Go Wise USA GW 22731 5.8 Quart Air Fryer provides 5.8 quarts of space and acts as an 8-in-1 appliance. This air fryer allows you to perform a lot of cooking, including roasting, baking, grilling, and frying. The modern design is easy to understand, with a 180 to 400 degree temperature range and intuitive buttons. The Go Wise USA GW 22731 5.8 Quart Air Fryer has a built in reminder system to ensure your food is cooked evenly every time.
Go Wise offers 100% satisfaction guarantees if you are unsatisfied within the first month of your purchase. They also include a 1 year warranty on the product and a lifetime of support.
6. Power Air Fryer XL
The Power Air Fryer XL has 5.3 quarts of space in the basket and uses Turbo Cyclonic Air (that can heat up to 400 degrees) to crisp and fry your food, instead of oil.
It includes an intuitive touch screen with 7 presets for one touch cooking of the most popular foods, like chicken, roasts, french fries, steak, shrimp, and baked goods. The basket is easy to use and is coated so it won’t stick to your food.
7. Ultrean 4.2 Quart Air Fryer
The Ultrean 4.2 Quart Air Fryer has a nonstick frying pot, a 1 year warranty, and is ETL/UL certified. The fryer can also grill, roast, and bake foods if you want to do more than fry. The Ultrean 4.2 Quart Air Fryer is user friendly and comes with very simple buttons and an adjustable temperature that ranges from 180 to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
The non-stick pan is very easy to clean, and it has a heat resistant handle to keep you from burning yourself. The Ultrean 4.2 Quart Air Fryer pot detaches and it is made from a scratch resistant material.
8. Copper Chef 2 Quart Turbo Cyclonic Air Fryer
The Copper Chef 2 Quart Turbo Cyclonic Air Fryer is another great option individuals and smaller families. Their Rapid Air Technology cooks your food quickly, allowing you to create healthy versions of your favorite fried foods.
The Copper Chef 2 Quart Turbo Cyclonic Air Fryer basket is easy to load and comes with a non-stick coating. The easy to understand controls offer multiple preset cooking options and the ability to change your temperatures.
9. Gourmia GAF 228 2.2 Quart Digital Air Fryer
The Gourmia GAF 228 2.2 Quart Digital Air Fryer comes with a removable and dishwasher safe pan, tray and basket. The RadiVection 360 Degree Technology will let you bake, broil, grill, roast, and fry anything you want to cook without using oil or fat.
It includes a Perfect Crisp System to ensure that your food will always be crispy, and the Express Heat System cooks your food 30% faster than ovens. The LCD display offers several different digital controls to help you adjust time and temperature settings.
10. Dash DFAF 455 GBAQ 01 Deluxe Electric Air Fryer and Oven Cooker
The Dash DFAF 455 GBAQ 01 Deluxe Electric Air Fryer and Oven Cooker is a great option for larger families thanks to the 6 quart basket, recipe guide, and automatic safety shut off feature. All of the non-electric components of this fryer are dishwasher safe, making clean up effortless.
This fryer comes with a 1 year warranty and is backed by excellent customer service.
How We Rank
First, we wanted to make sure that all of these items were easy to maintain. One of the main pitfalls of regular deep-frying is the mess that it creates. As such, any product that did not have easy maintenance was instantly eliminated. The Dash air fryer ranked highly because all of its parts are dishwasher safe, except the electronics. All of the other air fryers on our list, like the Copper Chef 2 Quart Turbo Cyclonic Air Fryer and the Ninja Air Fryer AF 101, include non-stick baskets and trays that can be washed in the dishwasher, making clean up simple.
Next, we wanted to make sure that the controls were easy to understand. Ease-of-use was an imperative feature in the air fryer rankings because of how technologically advanced the air fryers are. If they were difficult to operate, people could severely burn themselves. As such, any product that wasn’t easy to use was eliminated. The Cosori Air Fryer has a smooth display that you don’t need to toggle and comes with built-in presets. The rest of the products on our list all have digital touch interfaces or simple and easy to use instructions with multiple presets to make cooking foods even more straightforward.
We also looked at the capacity. Depending on the size of your family, you can choose between a small or large basket. We preferred large baskets like the Secura Air Fryer XL and the Dash DFAF 455 GBAQ 01 Deluxe Electric Air Fryer because more food could be cooked at once. This allowed for more convenience and less clean up. After all this, we determined the top 10 best air fryers on the market.
1. Air fryers need less clean up after cooking. Air fryers work by circulating hot air around your food, cooking it without the need for any added oils. Since you won’t have to use any oil when you cook, you won’t have to worry about cleaning up a greasy frier when you’re done cooking.
Furthermore, the food you cook will have less surface grease, meaning fewer stains on clothing and on your table. Dishes will also be easier to wash, as you won’t have to scrub off tough grease spots.
Most air fryers come with nonstick surfaces that are easy to wipe off after you are done the cooking. They often come with removable racks and pans that you can put in the dishwasher.
2. Air fryers help you eat healthier. One of the main benefits of using an air fryer is that they don’t require oil to fry food. You can cook a wide range of different dishes with crisp, golden outer layers without the added grease, making air fryers a healthier alternative to traditional frying.
Air fryers also come with bake, and grill settings, making it easy to cook vegetables and roasts, You can cook a full meal with one appliance, making it easier to stick to a diet and cook healthy food.
3. Air fryers can help you prepare meals quickly. Frying is one of the most effective ways of quickly cooking food. However, traditional frying with oil comes with the downside of high levels of fat, adding a significant number of calories to every meal.
Air fryers can cook meals quickly without added calories from fat, making them a great option for anyone who doesn’t have much time to cook. With larger air fryers, you’ll also be able to cook multiple dishes at once, so you can prepare a full meal in around 15 minutes.
4. Air fryers cook different types of meals. One limitation of traditional fryers is that they only allow you to cook one style of food. Air fryers are a more versatile, designed to combine a number of different cooking methods into a single appliance.
Air fryers can also bake, roast, and grill food, allowing you to prepare a wide range of dishes with one appliance. For example, you can make french fries with one setting, and then use the appliance to roast vegetables. You can also use the fryer for baking dessert or use it to reheat any leftovers for dinner the day after.
5. Air fryers take up little counter space. Many traditional fryers are large, cumbersome devices that take up a lot of space on your counter. If you don’t want to use a fryer, you’ll have to use a deep frying pan, which can also take up extra room in your kitchen.
There are many air fryers that are designed to fit on small counters, so you still have plenty of room in your kitchen as you cook. They also combine a range of different functions, so you can get rid of other kitchen appliances and save space.
6. Air fryers can provide quick heating. Since air fryers only require that you heat up a small volume of air before cooking, they preheat significantly faster than traditional fryers. You won’t have to wait for the oil to heat up, allowing you to start cooking right away.
Air fryers also cook much faster than convection ovens, so you’ll be able to prepare dishes in just a few minutes. For example, you can make french fries in around 12 minutes with an air fryer, whereas it can take 45 minutes with a regular oven.
7. Air fryers can help you stay away from dangerous vegetable oils. Studies have shown that vegetable oils can have serious health risks when consumed in large volumes (1).
Many deep fryers use some form of vegetable oil, adding extra calories and fat to food. Air fryers heat food by circulating air instead of immersing it in oil. Since the air crisps the outer layer of the food, you only need to add a small amount of oil when cooking. This allows you to cut vegetable oils out of your cooking, which can possibly lower the risk of a wide range of cardiovascular conditions.
8. Air fryers can lower the risk of fires. One of the main downsides of frying is the high risk of fires and burns. If you fry on the stove, hot oil can spill over the edge of the pan and catch on fire. It can also splatter, burning you as you stand over the pan. Deep fryers frequently catch fire if not cleaned properly, and the hot frequently causes burns.
Air fryers don’t require the use of hot oil, significantly lowering the risk of grease fires. Since the food is cooked in a closed compartment, there is little risk of burns, although you should take caution when removing the hot food basket.
9. Air fryers can help you lose weight. Studies have shown that diets high in saturated weight can cause rapid weight gain in obesity. Traditional fryers use large amounts of oil, which adds fat to food when it’s cooked. Studies have shown that the consumption of fried foods can significantly speed up the rate of weight gain (2).
Air fryers don’t require any oil as you cook, reducing the amount of saturated fat in your dishes. This can help you lose weight, as well as help prevent you from gaining it.
Furthermore, you can also easily cook vegetables with the roast, bake, or grill settings on air fryers, allowing you to add healthy food to your meals.
10. Air fryers can lower the risk of cancer. Research has shown that deep-frying can cause certain toxic compounds to build up in food. These compounds, such as acrylamide, increase the risk for a wide range of cancers, including breast, ovarian, pancreatic, and kidney cancer (3).
Since air fryers do not heat oil to a high temperature to cook food, they do not produce any toxic compounds, potentially lowering the risk of developing cancer.
11. Air fryers can protect your heart. Diets that are high in saturated and trans fat can put a serious strain on your heart. Studies have found that certain types of saturated fats can increase the risk of heart disease, as well as a range of other cardiovascular conditions, including high blood pressure (4).
Air fryers reduce the amount of fat in your food. They do not require you to cook with oil, so you prepare dishes that are lower in calories and fat. This can help you protect your heart and prevent congestive heart disease.
12. Air fryers can lower the risk of developing diabetes. Studies have shown that frequently eating fried foods can increase the risk of developing type II diabetes (5).
Type II diabetes can potentially cause weight gain, and also increases the risk of developing heart disease. Air fryers are a healthier alternative to traditional deep fryers. They allow you to eat fried food with a lower risk of developing type II diabetes, which can also protect your heart and prevent weight loss.
Although air fryers are healthier than deep fryers, more research is needed to see if they are as healthy as convection ovens. If you use large amounts of oil while cooking with an air fryer, you may get fewer health benefits.
13. Air fryers can reheat food. Air fryers are designed with a range of different settings, making them a versatile cooking tool that combines multiple appliances into one. They are a great way of quickly reheating food, preventing it from getting soggy and keeping it crisp.
Most air fryers come with low-temperature settings that will gently heat up your food. Since many also come with separate compartments, you can reheat multiple dishes at once.
1. Air fryers can only accommodate smaller portions. Most air fryers are somewhat limited in terms of space, so you may have to cook multiple batches if you are making food for a large number of people.
2. Air fryers may cause burns. If you preheat the fryer before use, take caution while removing the food basket, as the surface can cause severe burns. To lower the risk of burns, you can fill the basket with food before turning on the fryer. Don’t empty the grease receptacle under the frying basket right after cooking, as the hot oils can spill over the side and cause burns.
3. Air fryers don’t taste as good as normal fried food. Although air fryers can produce results similar to those of deep fryers, they won’t be able to replicate every type of fried dish. Without oil, you may not get as crisp of an outer layer, and the lower fat content also means that not all dishes will taste the same as those made in a deep fryer.
4. Air fryers can cause fires. Air fryers are significantly safer than other frying methods, as they do not require the use of hot oil. This lowers the risk of burn injuries and grease fires. However, there are still fire risks, so make sure to turn off your air fryer after you are done the cooking. Avoid putting any paper products that are not designed for high temperatures in the fryer, as they can burn and cause the appliance to catch fire.
To get the best results from your air fryer, follow the manufacturer’s instructions, as each appliance will be slightly different.
Most fryers come with a basket that can be removed from the appliance. To cook, simply take out the basket and put your food in, making sure to leave plenty of room on the sides so that air can circulate.
When cooking with an air fryer, you won’t need to cover the food with much oil, as the hot air will crisp the food. However, you may need to coat the rack or pan lightly with oil to prevent food from sticking, especially if cooking dishes such as breaded chicken.
Most air fryers will come with a number of different settings that let you change the temperature and cooking style. For example, you can use a roast setting for cooking vegetables, and then turn it to frying to crisp chicken legs.
Although air fryers won’t make as much of a mess as deep fryers, you’ll still need to clean them occasionally. Remove the trays and racks and put them in the dishwasher or wash them by hand. Then, soak the inside surfaces of the fryer with mild soap.
What is an air fryer? Air fryers are appliances designed to fry food with little to no oil. They work by continuously circulating hot air around food in a dry environment, which creates a crisp outer layer. Since they use significantly less oil, air fryers allow you to cook lower calorie meals.
Technically, they are not actually a fryer, but a type of convection oven. But they can still produce results similar to what you get from frying, and you can also use them to roast and bake food.
How expensive are air fryers? It will depend largely on the appliance that you choose. Air fryers range from around $50 all the way up to $500, with the more expensive fryers coming with added features and better heating.
Less expensive fryers often only have one compartment, so you won’t be able to cook multiple dishes at once. More expensive options come with divided compartments that let you cook various dishes at the same time, sometimes with different settings.
Are air fryers healthier than traditional fryers? Yes. Air fryers mainly use hot air to cook and crisp food, so you’ll need little oil as you cook. Traditional fryers completely coat food in oil, adding a significant amount of fat. Without the added fat, meals made with air fryers tend to have fewer calories.
How much food can an air fryer make at once? It depends on the size of the fryer. Most are designed to make around 2 to 4 servings of a dish, although some larger fryers have added compartments that allow you to cook different types of food at the same time.
How do you clean an air fryer? Most air fryers come with removable trays and racks which you can put in the dishwater. To clean the inside surfaces and the heating elements, take a mild soap and soak any stained areas. Make sure that you let the appliance cool completely before you start cleaning. How often you’ll need to clean your fryer will largely depend on the type of food you cook. If you use oil as you cook, you may need to clean the fryer out after a few uses, as grease can build up quickly.
How long does it take an air fryer to preheat? One of the main advantages of using air fryers is the fast heating time. They preheat almost instantly, so you won’t have to wait long before cooking.
Should you use aluminum foil in an air fryer? It’s completely safe to use aluminum foil in an air fryer. However, foil can interfere with the air circulation in the chamber, especially if you place it on the middle rack.
For best results, place foil on the bottom of the fryer and put the food on top so that food can continue to circulate.
Can you fry a whole chicken in an air fryer? In most cases, no. Air fryers are not quite as large as most deep fryers, so you likely won’t have enough room to fry a whole chicken. However, you can fry the parts of the chicken individually.
Are all air fryers the same? Most air fryers use the same basic technology and therefore have very similar features. All air fryers use a hot air circulation technology to cook food, so there is no difference between air fryers in the designs. However, there are different options available for air fryers.
Do you put oil in an air fryer? Even though many people take advantage of using no oil with an air fryer, you can still use it with the fryer. However, you have to mix oil with your ingredients before putting them in the fryer. Oil cannot be put inside the fryer pan. Adding cooking oil before air-frying will add an extra crunchy layer to your food.
Can I use aluminum foil in the air fryer Yes, you can use baking paper or aluminum foil in your air fryer. But you should never cover the basket bottom completely.
What oil is best for an air fryer? Air fryers do, in fact, require a little oil. We recommend avocado, grapeseed, and extra light olive oil, all of which have a higher smoke point that is ideal for air frying. When air frying fried foods and meats, or grilling items, a spray, spritz, or brushing of oil, applied to the food, is usually necessary.
Is an air fryer healthier than baking? In fact, most people reduce their calorie intake by 70 to 80 percent, on average, when using air fryers. Air fryers are also time-efficient. You can bake a chicken breast faster in an air fryer than you can in your oven, and clean-up is typically easier.
Can you put butter in an air fryer? Most air fryer stir-fry, vegetable, and sautee recipes call for tossing the ingredients in a little oil. But, no pats of butter. They break the smoke point rule. Any fat that can be applied as a solid is not appropriate for an air fryer.
Why is fried food bad for you? Research has shown that diets rich in fried foods can increase the risk of a range of serious health conditions, including heart disease and type II diabetes. They can also cause you to gain weight quickly. Since air fryers use significantly less oil than traditional frying methods, they produce food that is lower in fat and calories. The use of an air fryer as an alternative to other fryers can lower the risk of heart disease and diabetes, as well as help you lose weight.
Can you cook multiple food items in air fryers? Air fryers also come with a range of settings that allow you to cook different types of food. You can use a bake setting to make bread, and then turn it to the fry setting to prepare chicken. Some come with multiple compartments that allow you to cook multiple dishes at once.
Air fryers allow you to quickly crisp food, producing results similar to what you would get with a traditional fryer. They use significantly less oil than deep fryers, so food has less fat and fewer calories. Studies have shown that eating large amounts of fried food can increase the risk of developing heart disease and type II diabetes, as well as lead to rapid weight gain.
Research has also shown that vegetable oils can be dangerous if consumed in large volumes, possibly increasing the risk of heart disease and mortality. Air fryers allow you to cook without any oils, making it easier to eat healthy food free of vegetable oil.
Although air fryers do have a number of benefits over other frying methods, they come with a few downsides. Most of them have limited space, so you may not be able to cook meals for large groups. Since they do not use large amounts of oil, some dishes may not taste the same as they do when fried with traditional methods.
For Healthtrends #1 air fryer recommendation, click here.