Chef knives are one of the most versatile blades in a professional’s toolkit, used for everything from mincing garlic to slicing cuts of meat. They are made of durable steel, potentially giving you a lifetime of use if taken care of properly. With a heavy blade and a sharp edge, chef knives slice cleanly when you cut, helping you produce even pieces of meat and produce.
Most chef knives are constructed from high-grade stainless steel, which won’t rust when exposed to moisture. They are also made of fairly flexible metal, so your knife won’t chip if you knock it against other cutlery or on a pan.
Best Chef Knives
1. Mercer Culinary Millennia 8-Inch Chef’s Knife
For those looking for the best chef knife on the market, look no further than Mercer’s Culinary Millenia. This knife has an ergonomic handle, made out of polypropylene and Santoprene, for comfort and durability. It comes with built-in safety guards and textured finger points for slip resistance.
It’s also made with the highest quality Japanese steel for unparalleled performance. Without a doubt, this our #1 chef knife recommendation on the market.
2. J.A. Henckels International 31161-201 CLASSIC
J.A. Henckels knife is made from German stainless steel and is a multipurpose chef knife that is great for chopping, dicing and slicing. Its ergonomic handle is great for prevent slipping and providing precise cutting.
This knife also has a Satin finish for long lasting sharpness.
3. Wanbasion Blue Professional Kitchen Knife Chef Set
Wanbasion Blue Professional Kitchen Knife is titanium-coated to resist against corrosion and scratches. It is also forged with special process that maintains flexibility and protects against chips and breaking.
Wanbasion’s precision edge technology keeps the blade sharp for as long as possible, no matter how much you use it.
4. MOSFiATA 8″ Super Sharp Professional Chef’s Knife with Finger Guard and Knife Sharpener
MOSFiATA’s Santoku Knife resits rust build up and scratches thanks to its German stainless steel engineering. To maintain extreme sharpness, it has a hand-polished edge that is 14-16 degrees per side.
The ergonomic handle provides comfort and traction to avoid slipping while maintaining precision during cutting.
5. Victorinox – 45520 Fibrox Pro Chef’s Knife
Fibrox Pro chef’s knife has many attributes that have allowed it to be a top choice for home chefs and professionals alike. An ergonomically designed handle made from thermoplastic elastomer (TPE) provides a non-slip grip even when the knife is wet giving this knife an added safety feature.
The tappered stainless steel edge also allows for a clean, precise cut with ease and efficiency, proving to be an all-around great choice.
6. Professional Chef Knife, 8 Inch Pro Kitchen Knife, German High Carbon Stainless Steel Knife with Ergonomic Handle
This 8 inch stainless steel knife has been crafted with high-carbon making it twice as hard as other knives in its class.
As a bonus, the sleek packaging and great price point makes this a excellent gift.
7. imarku Chef Knife – Pro Kitchen Knife 8 Inch
The combination of high carbon and stainless steel make the imarku chef knife more durable and long lasting as any. An ergonomic handle made from African Pakka allows for a longlasting comfortable grip.
In addition to this, this knife provides an ultra-sharp, corrosion and anti-tarnish blade that will stay looking new through use.
8. Stainless Steel Knife Set with Block – 13 Kitchen Knives Set Chef Knife Set with Knife Sharpener, 6 Steak Knives, Bonus Peeler Scissors Cheese Pizza Knife and Acrylic Stand by Home Hero
If you’re looking for a all-in-one kitchen decor, high qualilty knife set, you’ve found it. Including 13 professional knives, a peeler, scissors and two knife sharpeners this kit is a great way to equip your kitchen in one purchase.
These knives are coated with non-stick paint plus ergonomically designed handles, and a great all-around choice.
9. Shun Classic 8” Chef’s Knife with VG-MAX Cutting Core and Ebony PakkaWood Handle
Shun’s 8 inch knife has been formulated with its own unique blend of steel making it corrosion resistant, stronger and have a sharper edge.
The handle contains PakkaWood infused with resin creating a durable, water-resistant finish.
10. DALSTRONG Chef Knife – 8″ – Phantom Series – Japanese High-Carbon
Dalstrong’s chef knife is razor-sharp, strong and hand-pollished blade competes with all others on this list. The hanlde is PakkaWood creating a comfotable and easy to use experience.
With improved hardness, minimal slicing resistance and flexibility, this proves to be a great addition to your kitchen.
How We Ranked
1. Chef knives help make clean and precise cuts. Chef knives are designed with razor-sharp blades so that they can cut through meat and produce cleanly. This makes them more effective than other blades when you need to make accurate cuts (1).
The sharp blade also makes it easier to get into a rhythm as you cut, as the edge will pass cleanly through whatever you have on the cutting board. With a steady rhythm, you’ll be able to evenly slice and reduce the risk of the knife slipping. Chef knives are slightly heavier than most other knives, so there’s more weight pressing down on each cut. This makes it easier to evenly slice without having to exert extra force.
2. Chef knives can provide years of perfect work. Most chef knives are built to last, with durable blades that will hold up after years of regular use. Although they can be a significant investment, they more than justify their cost with their long lifespan.
Chefs knives are also easy to sharpen, so you can prevent the blade from getting dull without having to replace the knife. Most are forged out of high-quality stainless steel that won’t chip or bend. If you take proper care of a high-quality chef knife, it can last you the rest of your life.
3. Chef knives help you spend less time preparing meals. Many people spend a significant amount of time preparing ingredients for their meals, and a bad knife can make this process last even longer (2).
Dull blades get stuck as you cut, or slip and make uneven pieces. You also have to cut much slower to avoid injuring yourself. Chef knives are one of the most effective tools you can add to your kitchen, saving you a substantial amount of time on meal prep. They cut cleanly through meat and produce, allowing you to get into a rhythm as you work. That means you can dice onions, cut meat, and mince garlic much faster than before.
Since chef knives can function as multiple knives combined in one, you also won’t have to spend much time cleaning cutlery. Simply wash off your knife with warm water and soap, and your cleaning is done.
4. Chef knives won’t rust. If you pick a good chef knife, you won’t have to worry about it rusting with repeated use. Most chefs knives are made of stainless steel, so they won’t corrode if exposed to moisture. Stainless steel also won’t affect the flavor of your food, so you don’t need to worry about the strange metallic taste that you often get with cheaper knives (3).
Although most chef knives won’t rust, they should still not be left in the sink for extended periods, and they should never be put in the dishwasher. Instead, gently rinse them off with warm water and mild soap.
5. Chef knives improve your cutting skills. It can be difficult to learn to use a knife if you are working with a dull, worn-out blade. Many people get frustrated as they prep meals, as they struggle to cut through produce and meat. Their knives prevent them from improving their skills, so they never learn how to prepare ingredients properly.
Chef knives make it easy to learn how to use a knife in the kitchen properly. They have sharp blades, and the weight is balanced over the handle, making it easy to chop and dice. With the right chef knife, you’ll be able to pick up new skills and improve as a cook quickly.
6. Chef knives excel in their versatility. Designed to handle a wide range of different cutting tasks, a chef knife can replace many other blades that you use for ingredient prep. This can save you space in your kitchen, and you won’t have to spend as much money on a full knife set.
A high-quality chef knife can be used for mincing, slicing, chopping, and carving. Although not perfect for every task, you can prepare the ingredients for most dishes with a chef knife alone. For example, if you are making a roast, you’ll be able to cut the meat, dice the onion, mince the garlic, and chop any vegetables without having to use more than one knife for the job.
7. Chef knives make more accurate cuts. Chef knives feature sharp blades that make quick work of most ingredients, allowing you to quickly and cleanly cut. They also have a fairly heavy blade, with the weight helping the blade slice without you having to push down (4).
These qualities make chef knives extremely accurate, allowing you to thinly and evenly slice meat and vegetables. You can also use them to cut thin slices of fish for sashimi or sushi.
8. Chef knives lower the risk of injury. Chef knives have a reputation for being sharper than other types of knives. Although this can make them dangerous if you are not careful, they are much safer than other knives that have dull blades. Cheap knives often aren’t very sharp, to begin with, and quickly lose whatever edge they have. A dull blade is much more likely to catch or slip as you cut, increasing the risk that you injure yourself (5).
Chef knives are built with sharp edges that quickly slice through thick cuts of meat as well as just about any produce. They have a heavy blade, which means you won’t have to apply extra force to cut. Because of their sharp edge, weight, and balance, chef knives are much less likely to slip or shift as you cut, lowering the risk of injury. The blades also don’t bend or chip, so you can always predict how the knife will move as you cut.
9. Chef knives can improve your cooking. Chef knives are built for precision, allowing you to make accurate cuts, as well as finely dice just about any type of produce. A high-quality chef knife can improve your cooking, making it easier for you to follow recipes exactly and get the results you want (6).
10. Chef knives won’t chip. Most chef knives are made of higher quality metal than other knives, giving the blade a durable edge that won’t chip with repeated use. This means that your knife will work for years and that cuts will continue to be accurate.
Furthermore, knives that don’t chip are much safer, as the blade is much less likely to slip and cut your hand.
11. Chef knives have better style. Chef knives are mainly designed to be used by professionals, with a high-quality build that is more stylish than most other knives. This makes them a good complement to other pieces of high-end cookware that you have in your kitchen. Studies also show that kitchen style (including knives and countertops) can influence obesity (7).
12. Chef knives can more precisely slice meat. It can be difficult to properly slice cuts of meat if you don’t have the right knife. Dull blades won’t cut through tissue, leading to uneven pieces. If your knife is too small, you won’t be able to make your way through the whole piece of meat and may have to awkwardly saw back and forth.
A chef knife has a sharp enough blade and enough weight to easily slice through thick cuts of meat, so you’ll be able to fillet meat and divide out portions.
1. Chef knives can cause deep cuts. The blades on chef knives tend to be much sharper than most other knives. That actually makes them much safer, as most knife accidents occur due to a dull blade that slips while cutting. However, you need to exercise caution whenever you use a chef knife. Although accidents are less likely, when they do occur, the sharp blade can cut deep into the tissue.
Make sure that you have good lighting whenever you use the knife and cut on an even surface that doesn’t rock as you move the knife. As you hold the food with your off-hand, make sure that your fingertips are tucked in and keep your knuckles pressed against the flat of the blade. This can reduce the risk of severely cutting your fingers, and can also prevent the blade from slipping.
2. Chef knives work poorly when dull. It’s important that you regularly sharpen your chef knife to prevent the blade from getting dull. Try to sharpen your knife after every few uses, and don’t use it if you notice the blade is losing its edge (8).
3. Chef knives are not for everything. Although chef knives are the most versatile type of knife, they are not right for every task. They may not work well for paring and peeling, as they can be dangerous if not used against a flat surface.
Chef knives come in a variety of sizes, with most averaging around 8 inches long. If you plan on making smaller cuts and thinly slicing produce, you may want to choose a slightly smaller chef knife. However, if you’ll mainly be cutting large pieces of meat and dicing vegetables, a full-size chef knife will be most effective.
How often you’ll need to sharpen your knife largely depends on the quality of the blade and how you use it. If you are using the knife every day for a wide range of different tasks, you should consider using a wet stone a few times a week to keep the blade from dulling.
Not every chef knife is built from stainless steel. Many use carbon steel, which is a less flexible metal. Although these blades won’t dull as quickly, they’re much more likely to rust. If you have a carbon steel knife, make sure not to leave it in the sink, and always dry it off after each use.
Make sure that you are cutting on the right kind of surface with your knife. Wood cutting-boards are the best, as the wood is soft enough not to damage the blade of the knife. Some plastic boards will also work, although they are more likely to slip as you work.
What is a chef knife? Chef knives are designed for a wide range of purposes, making them one of the most versatile knives that you can add to your kitchen. Unlike cleavers or paring knives, chef knives can be used to cut just about anything, from fruit and vegetables to meat.
Chef knives vary in terms of size, with most measuring around 8 inches long. However, you can find chefs knives in a wide range of sizes, so you can choose one that suits your needs.
What type of metal are chef knives made from? It varies by the knife. Many chef knives are made from stainless steel, which is a flexible, durable metal that won’t rust. Others use carbon steel, which won’t dull as easily but can rust if exposed to moisture.
More expensive chef knives may use Damascus steel, which combines carbon and stainless steel to make an even more durable blade.
How long will a chef knife last? It depends on the quality of the knife you buy, as well as how you take care of it. Many high-quality chef knives are built to last for a lifetime if they are well taken care of and sharpened regularly.
Although most high-quality chef knives will not rust, avoid leaving them in the sink or keeping moisture on the blade. You should also never put them in the dishwasher, as it can damage the blade.
Should a chef knife be used for mincing? Yes. A chef knife is one of the best tools for mincing a wide range of different ingredients, including garlic. The large flat side of the blade allows you to crush the clove easily, and the well-balanced blade rocks back and forth quickly, perfectly mincing garlic (9).
Can you use an electric sharpener with a chef knife? Yes, although electric sharpeners can be quite harsh on the blade, so they are best avoided if you have an expensive chef knife.
Electric sharpeners remove more of the metal than other sharpening methods, such as wet stones. This means that the knife will wear out more quickly, and is also more likely to chip.
The best way to sharpen your chef knife is with a wet stone, which removes a small layer of steel on the blade. It won’t strip too much metal, so the knife will continue to work for years.
Are santoku knives the same as chef knives? No, although they are quite similar. Santoku knives are a type of knife that is commonly used in Japan as a multi-purpose blade. It’s used for many of the same cutting jobs as a chef knife, although santoku knives don’t rock back and forth quite as well. They are often better for single, precision cuts, whereas chef knives may be more useful for mincing.
How much do chef knives cost? The cost of chef knives varies widely, with some entry-level blades costing between $30 and $50, and high-quality ones soaring well over $1,000.
Many high-end chef knives are custom made to order, and they are designed to last for a lifetime. More affordable chef knives are still designed to last, but they often won’t have such a long lifespan.
Can chef knives be used for everything? Although chef knives are multidimensional, they won’t replace every type of knife in your kitchen. They also need to be sharpened frequently; otherwise, the heavy blade that makes them so effective can become dangerous.
Can you put a chef knife in the dishwasher? No. Chef knives should always be washed by hand with mild soap, and you can use a sponge if needed to get off any food that sticks to the blade. The high temperature and detergent of a dishwasher can damage the knife, and the blade may chip if it knocks against other cutlery.
Are chef knives versatile? Chef knives are designed to carry out a wide range of tasks in the kitchen, making them extremely versatile. They can be used to dice onions, mince garlic, cut a chicken, or slice produce.
Chef knives are one of the most versatile kitchen tools, allowing you to cut everything from fruit and vegetables to meat. They are durable, designed to last years if they are maintained properly.
A chef knife can help you quickly develop your knife skills, as well as help you more accurately follow recipes by making precise cuts. They can also save you time on meal prep by making it easier to slice, dice, and mince and all of the ingredients you need.
Many high-quality chef knives are designed to be used for a lifetime, with tough steel that won’t chip or wear away over time. They are also easy to sharpen, so maintenance doesn’t take too much effort. Chef knives won’t chip if you cut into bone or knock the blade against other cutlery. Most also won’t rust even if they are left in water.
Although chef knives tend to be a bit more expensive than other knife types, they are also more versatile. Since you can use a chef knife for a wide range of purposes, you won’t have to buy as many other knives, saving you money and space in your kitchen (10).
Chef knives are quite sharp, so you should always take caution when cutting. They need to be sharpened regularly to prevent the knife from getting dull. If the blade is not kept sharp, you increase the risk of injury.
There are also some tasks, such as paring and peeling, where you shouldn’t use a chef knife, as you are much more likely to cut yourself.