Fat burners for women are supplements used to increase metabolism and boost the rate of fat conversion to energy.
The most commonly used fat burners are safe, provided that you take them at recommended doses. Some side effects may include headaches, stomach discomfort, and sleep disturbances. These supplements are not regulated by the FDA, so you should check the listed ingredients to ensure that there are no dangerous compounds.
Best Fat Burners For Women
Among the many fat burners available, Leanbean provides the most comprehensive combination of thermogenic ingredients, such as green coffee bean extract, green tea extract, cayenne pepper, black pepper extract, l-theanine, and turmeric.
Leanbean also includes appetite suppression ingredients such as glucomannan to round out its effects as potent fat burner for women. Combined with the certified all-organic formulation and the reasonable price, it’s no surprise this was our #1 choice.
Providing a stimulant-free fat burner, Hourglass chooses to focus its energy squarely on the use of thermogenics to make its product as effective as possible. Cayenne pepper and green tea extract play an essential role in the delivery of a substantial metabolism increase, without being stimulating.
There is also an added effect on your overall health with the range of vitamins such as A, C, and E. In terms of appetite suppression, Hourglass uses glucomannan.
While most fat burners focus on metabolism enhancement, Powher takes a slightly different approach and aims to suppress appetite and cravings. To achieve this, it uses glucomannan as the primary ingredient providing 3 g per serving which meets the daily dosage recommendation for optimum results.
It also includes a wide array of vitamins and trace minerals to enhance your overall health including choline, chromium, magnesium, selenium, and iron. While these are good to have in general, they also provide enhanced weight loss characteristics making this a complete solution.
3. Transparent Labs Fat Burner
With an ingredient list that touts l-tyrosine, l-theanine, green tea extract and forskolin, there are very few competitors that can provide the same natural formula with optimum results.
Transparent Labs combines 100% formula transparency, 9 science-based ingredients at clinically-effective doses, and zero fillers or harmful additives, to provide a clean and safe fat loss supplement with the convenience of easy-to-swallow veggie capsules.
5. Legion Athletics Phoenix
Ingredients such as forskolin, naringin, l-tyrosine, 5-HTP, and white willow bark work as a complete, science-backed solution to increase your fat-burning efforts.
Legion Ahletic’s Phoenix also provides an all-natural, non-GMO solution for those looking for effective results without the added chemical components.
6. Performance Lab Sport Fat Burner
Performance Lab Sport focuses on the fat burning needs of women while also protecting muscle mass. It uses a slow-release capsule that provides various extracts proven to be effective in the fat burning process including cayenne pepper, while also using HMB and forskolin to function as anti-catabolic and lean muscle-preservers.
The metabolism boosters found in this supplement have also been scientifically-researched which only serves to add credibility to the effectiveness of this product.
7. Lean XT
Lean XT is one of the better fat burners for women due to its formulation focus. While some supplements rely heavily on stimulants for fat burning results, this one does not. Instead, it uses unique ingredients such as ashwagandha root to enhance fat burning results.
It also includes melatonin to enhance recovery time and boost your mood so that you get the most out of your workouts. If you’re caffeine sensitive, this is one of the best options to try.
One of the more unique aspects of Phen24 is its use of two separate pills per day to burn fat 24 hours of the day. The pill taken during the day increases metabolism, boosts energy, and burns calories.
The second pill taken at night, reduces cravings, increases nighttime metabolism, and promotes better sleep.
9. FitMiss Burn
FitMiss Burn fat burner for women contains a 6-stage weight loss blend, which makes it fairly complex. However, it still maintains an effective amount of natural ingredients including 150 mg of caffeine, green tea extract, and white kidney bean.
This an ideal choice for those looking to boost their digestive health while also maintaining appetite control and achieving optimum results.
10. BeLive Fusion Burn
BeLive focuses on the use of 250 mg of Garcinia Cambogia and apple cider vinegar to kickstart your metabolism and suppress appetite, without the use of stimulants.
Though not it is not as fancy as other products, this is a solid and reliable choice.
How We Rank
When choosing the best fat burners for women, we chose to focus on products that had a scientifically backed approach while also providing necessary elements to ensure a higher rate of success. First, we reviewed the ingredient list for the available fat burners on the market. Though it is common for fat burners to include caffeine and other stimulants to increase metabolic rates, we limited our rankings to those that were either free of stimulants or those that included only minimal amounts. Phen24 and FitMiss include caffeine while on our list but each contains 150 mg or less of caffeine per serving which is fairly minimal compared to others.
Next, we looked for products that focused more on a thermogenic process to enhance fat-burning capabilities. Products that include L-Theanine, L-Carnitine, green tea extract, cayenne pepper, or similar ingredients were given higher preference. While these were not an absolute requirement, they are a key element found in higher ranking products such as Legion Athletics Phoenix, PowHer and Leanbean.
Finally, we also reviewed the ingredient list for any additives or preservatives that did not benefit the overall performance of the product. BeLive, for example, included uncommon ingredients such as Garcinia Cambogia and apple cider vinegar. Since these ingredients are scientifically proven to enhance fat loss, to some degree, BeLive made the cut. However, in general, products that had additives or preservatives with no benefit were left from the rankings entirely. After all this, we determined the top 10 best fat burners for women on the market.
1. Caffeine is a fat burner for women that can boost metabolism. Caffeine is included in nearly every commercially sold fat burner supplement. Although effective when taken as part of a supplement, it can also burn fat on its own, and has few side effects when taken at moderate doses.
It has natural fat burning properties such as speeding up the metabolism and helping the body get rid of excess fat. A 1981 study even showed that caffeine could increase metabolism by up to 15% in the hours after consumption (4).
The fat burning effects of caffeine may also be amplified when combined with exercise, another reason it’s effective when taken before workouts. Research also indicates that caffeine helps the body switch to using fat as a fuel source, rather than glucose. That means that your body will begin to use up fat stores as you exercise (5).
Coffee is added to many popular fat burners for women, so be careful about adding extra caffeine if you are already taking one of these products.
2. Carnitine if a fat burner for women that can increase the rate of fat burning. Carnitine is an amino acid that is used for a wide range of purposes in the body, including building proteins. Research has indicated that it may also be an effective fat burner for women, increasing the rate at which the body uses up fat stores.
A review of studies looking at the weight loss effects of carnitine found that it was effective for burning fat and increasing weight loss (6).
Participants reported few side effects, and the supplement was generally well tolerated.
3. Soluble fiber is a fat burner for women which can curb appetite. Fiber is a type of carbohydrate that helps support healthy digestion. Additionally, it can help regulate appetite, reducing cravings, and preventing overeating. This can help you lower total body fat composition.
Studies have indicated that soluble fiber can increase hormones that regulate hunger, including PYY. Fiber can also cut levels of ghrelin, a hormone that increases hunger (7).
Other studies using glucomannan, a type of fiber, found that it significantly reduced appetite. When consumed, glucomannan absorbs water and sits in the stomach, reducing cravings for food. In the study, this led to over 10 pounds of weight loss over the course of 5 weeks (8).
4. Turmeric is a fat burner for women that can prevent fat formation. Turmeric is a common culinary ingredient that may also be effective for reducing fat formation, helping prevent weight gain and increase lean mass. Studies on rats have shown that turmeric inhibited the formation of fat cells, lowering rates of obesity (9).
Other studies have shown that curcumin, the main ingredient in turmeric, may also increase rates of fat burning.
5. Yohimbine is a fat burner for women that can help increase adrenaline to burn stubborn fat. Yohimbine is a plant native to Central and South America, long used for a wide range of herbal remedies. Studies have shown that it can regulate body fat, and can lower total body fat levels. Yohimbine blocks the receptors that adrenaline binds to. Adrenaline burns fat, so by blocking receptors, Yohimbe increases the amount of time that adrenaline burns fat in the body (10).
Another study showed that yohimbine reduced body fat composition in athletes by over 2% (11).
Since yohimbine works by blocking adrenaline receptors, it may only be effective for burning body fat after exercise, when levels of adrenaline are high. Therefore, it should be taken soon before workouts.
6. Green coffee bean extract is a fat burner for women that can increase fat oxidation. Green coffee bean extract is made from unroasted coffee beans. Because the beans are not roasted, preserving chlorogenic acid, a compound that may help with weight loss. A double-blind 2012 study showed that the caffeine in green coffee bean extract could cause increased fat burning (12).
The chlorogenic acid can also help regulate blood sugar levels and slow the absorption of carbs. This prevents blood sugar spikes, which can cause increased fat deposits. Green coffee bean extract is safe, but it contains fairly high levels of caffeine. If you are taking it, lower your levels of caffeine consumption to avoid any sleep disturbances.
7. Forskolin is a fat burner for women that can increase lean mass to boost metabolism. Forskolin is a compound derived from plants in the mint family. Although there is little research showing it causes weight loss, it may still be effective for burning excess fat, helping increase the percentage of lean muscle mass.
One 2005 study found that forskolin was effective for reducing body fat in overweight people while increasing lean muscle mass. However, there were no drops in body weight (13).
8. Green tea extract is a fat burner for women which is used to speed up fat metabolism. Green tea extract is one of the most commonly found ingredients in fat burners, and research has confirmed that it’s an effective way of stimulating the metabolism to burn fat.
Although the exact role that green tea extract plays in weight loss is still not fully understood, studies have shown that it can increase the rate of fat burning. It may increase levels of norepinephrine, which helps the body convert fat stores to energy.
One study found that green tea extract led to significant reductions in total body fat, and especially in the belly area (14).
9. Conjugated linoleic acid is a fat burner for women that can reduce appetite and convert body fat into energy. Conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) is a popular weight loss supplement, and research has shown that it’s an effective way of increasing fat burning and weight loss. Studies showed that CLA reduced appetite, preventing overeating. It also appears to increase the body’s metabolism, converting more body fat into energy.
This led to a weight loss of around 1 pound per month, for a maximum of 6 months (15).
10. Meratrim is a fat burner for women that burn fat and lower cholesterol. Meratrim is a fat burner supplement that has been shown to be effective for weight loss. It uses a blend of two different plant extracts to increase metabolism and help the body convert fat to energy. One study looking at the effects of Meratrim on obese people found that after 8 weeks, participants lost 10 pounds, as well as having significantly lower body fat compositions. They also had lower cholesterol and improved overall well being (16).
Meratrim has only been used in a few studies, so more research is needed to confirm its efficacy. However, it appears to be safe, with few participants reporting any side effects.
11. Protein powder is a convenient fat burner for women that can curb appetite. Studies show high protein intake can help you preserve muscle mass and burn fat by boosting your metabolism. It also helps your body curb your appetite; leading to more weight loss and maintenance (17, 18).
Another 1999 study found that a high-protein diet was almost twice as effective as a moderate-protein diet at burning fat for obese and overweight subjects (19).
However, remember that calories are still important and should not be added to a diet – rather, they should be swapped in to help maintain proper calorie control.
12. 5-HTP is a fat burner for women that can help manage cravings. 5-HTP is a precursor to the hormone serotonin and may help you burn fat by curbing your appetite and carb cravings. In one 1998 study, 5-HTP was able to help diabetic patients consume 435 fewer calories per day compared to the placebo group. Even better, 5-HTP primarily inhibited the intake of calories from carbohydrates, which was associated with better blood sugar control (22).
It should be noted that 5-HTP may interact with medications for depression (23).
13. Synephrine is a fat burner for women that can increase your basic metabolic rate. Synephrine is a substance that is abundant in bitter oranges and is structurally similar to the once-popular weight loss drug ephedrine.
A 2010 study showed that synephrine could increase ones basal metabolic rate to burn fat. It may also help suppress appetite (24).
14. Fat burners that include apple cider vinegar may result in increased metabolism. Apple cider vinegar produces acetic acid during the digestive process and fermentation. In several studies, the presence of acetic acid or acetate increased AMPK, a fat-burning enzyme. This enzyme not only serves to burn fat but also decreases fat and sugar production in the liver. This process results in more effective results during vigorous workouts and exercise (25).
1. Some fat burners can lead to increased body temperature, as the metabolism is more active. This may make you feel overheated, especially during exercise.
2. Fat burners for women can interfere with sleep. Most fat burners have caffeine as an ingredient which can keep you awake at night. To avoid any sleep problems, try to take fat burners in the morning so that the caffeine is out of your system by the time you go to sleep. Caffeine can last in your body for up to 10 hours, even if you don’t directly notice the stimulating effects.
3. Many fat burners for women can cause anxiety and an increased heart rate, especially for people who are sensitive to caffeine. When taking fat burners, cut back on beverages such as coffee and tea, as the extra stimulation could impact sleep. Other common side effects of fat burners include digestive discomfort, headaches, and restlessness. Women with heart conditions should speak with their doctor before using fat burners, as the stimulants in many of these products can cause increased blood pressure, accelerated heart rate, and cardiac arrhythmia.
4. Women who are pregnant or breastfeeding should not take fat burner supplements. However, some natural products, such as coffee and green tea extract, may be safe when taken in moderation.
5. Fat burners for women can cause dehydration. The ingredients found in many common fat burners, including caffeine, can increase rates of fluid loss. Make sure that you are drinking plenty of water whenever using a fat burner supplement.
Although many fat burners for women are safe, they are not regulated by the FDA. That means that they may contain ingredients that could be harmful. When buying a new supplement, you should research the ingredients to ensure that there are no harmful substances, as well as look into the reputation of the manufacturer.
Fat burners for women vary widely depending on the product. For best results, you should follow the instructions listed by the manufacturer. However, here are some recommended doses for specific ingredients.
To get the most benefits from green tea extract consume about 250-500 mg (about 3-5 cups of green tea) daily (26).
Protein powder supplements can be taken as 1-2 scoop (25-50 grams) servings per day. Options include whey, casein, soy, egg, and hemp protein powders depending on your overall goals. It is also important to make sure your protein supplement is low in added sugars and other additives when you’re looking to lose weight.
Yohimbine is seen to be effective when taken as 10 mg doses twice a day (27).
The recommended dosage for synephrine is 10-20mg, taken three times per day.
A typical dose of 5-HTP is in the range of 300-500 mg, taken either once daily or in divided doses. Lower doses may also be effective, although usually when paired with other substances.
Supplementation of conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) tends to be in the range of 3,200-6,400mg daily, taken with meals.
Are fat burners for women safe? In most cases, yes. There are hundreds of fat burners for women on the market, most of which feature different blends of ingredients. Although most of these are safe, some may contain ingredients that could be dangerous. Many fat burners also contain caffeine. Although the amount found in most products is safe, it can cause anxiety and sleep disturbances when combined with coffee.
The best way to ensure that a fat burner is safe is to research the ingredients. You can also use natural fat burners, such as caffeine, green tea extract, fiber, and Yohimbe, which are safe when taken in moderate amounts.
Are branded fat burners for women more effective than natural fat burners? No. There is little research indicating that branded fat burners are more effective than natural ingredients. However, some of these products may still be useful, provided that they contain the right mix of ingredients. Homemade versions of fat burning supplements will be effective, and you can use natural products such as caffeine, carnitine, and green tea extract to boost metabolism.
When’s the best time of day to take fat burner for women? Most fat burners work by altering the body’s metabolism, increasing the rate at which fat is broken down. Because of this, they are best taken early in the day, before or during your first meal. Many fat burners for women also contain moderate to high levels of caffeine. If taken in the afternoon or at night, they may affect sleep quality. Sleep deprivation often leads to weight gain, so taking fat burners at night may be counterproductive.
How long will it take to see results with fat burners for women? It’s difficult to give exact estimates for when you will see results when using fat burners. That’s because products vary widely, with different concentrations of key ingredients. Other factors, including exercise and diet, also play a substantial role. If combined with regular exercise and a healthy, balanced diet low in carbs and high in protein and healthy fats, you may be able to see results after a few weeks, although it can take months for significant effects to be noticeable.
Are fat burners for women safe when taken long term? There is little research on the long term effects of fat burner products. Although they show few significant effects when taken over short periods, it could be risky to take them for an extended time. However, natural fat burners, such as caffeine and green tea extract, are likely safe when taken for prolonged periods. If you plan on using fat burners for prolonged periods, you should speak to your doctor first.
What’s the most effective natural fat burner for women? There are a number of natural fat burners that have proven to be effective. However, some may work better, depending on your diet, weight, and exercise regiment. Powerful fat burners for women include caffeine, green tea extract, forskolin, and Yohimbe. Many of these compounds can also be used in combination to improve results.
Is it safe to drink coffee while using fat burners for women? Although you can still drink coffee while using fat burners, you should drink less than normal. That’s because fat burners can contain high levels of caffeine, and the combination with coffee can increase the risk of side effects such as anxiety, increased heart rate, and sleep disturbances.
Will fat burners for women work without dieting? Many fat burners for women will still show some results without any dietary changes. However, they tend to be most effective when combined with a healthy diet, as well as plenty of exercise.
To encourage fat burning, try to eat a diet that is low in carbs and high in healthy fats. This will help your body begin to rely on fat as its main energy source, leading to burning of the body’s fat stores.
Do fat burners for women interact with medication? Most fat burners will not have any significant interactions with medications. However, the caffeine in fat burners may cause problems for people with high blood pressure, as well as for those taking other stimulant medications.
How do fat burners help you lose weight? To lose weight, a person needs to burn more calories than they take in. Some natural fat burners, however, may help the body burn more fat by increasing metabolism or reducing hunger. To burn fat, a person cannot rely on a single food or supplement.
Can fat burners for women cause liver damage? There have been reports of some illegal ingredients used in fat burners in the past that can cause liver damage.
Do fat burners increase heart rate? If the fat burner for women contains enough stimulants, it can increase the heart rate for a short period of time.
Are fat burners for women dangerous when pregnant? Yes, it is not recommended that pregnant women consume fat burners while pregnant. This is generally due to the questionable ingredients found in lower quality supplements, however, the use of stimulants or other metabolism-boosting products could result in uterine contractions which may also lead to miscarriage or pregnancy complications. If you are concerned about your weight during pregnancy, it is recommended that you contact your OB/GYN for guidance.
Can fat burners for women cause cancer? Though the answer to this is not conclusive, some fat burners may increase your risk of cancer depending on the ingredients included. This is more common in low-quality supplements that focus on stimulant or unverified ingredients. When choosing a fat burner it is important to find one that is both reputable and backed with scientific evidence to lessen the possibility of exposure to dangerous ingredients.
What are some effective fat burning ingredients? Caffeine is one of the most commonly used ingredients in fat burners and has been shown to speed up metabolism and help the body use fat as fuel. Natural ingredients, such as green tea extract and green coffee bean extract, are effective for increasing the rate of fat burning as well. Other compounds, such as carnitine and forskolin, have been demonstrated to increase weight loss and improve body composition. Some fat burners for women can also help prevent the formation of fat cells. Studies have shown that yohimbine is effective for lowering rates of fat deposits in the body, as well as regulating carb absorption.
Fat burners for women are products that can increase the body’s metabolism, speeding up the rate at which it converts fat stores to energy. Although the ingredients in these compounds vary widely, they are generally safe when used at recommended doses. Studies have shown that caffeine, one of the most commonly used ingredients in fat burners, can speed up the metabolism by up to 15%. It can also help the body switch to using fat as a primary fuel source, increasing weight loss.
Other ingredients, such as carnitine, have been shown to increase the rate of fat burning in the body. Turmeric, in addition to burning fat stores, can prevent the formation of fat cells and stop weight gain.
Most fat burners for women are safe, especially if only taken for short periods. However, not all products are regulated, so some could contain ingredients that are dangerous. You can prevent side effects by using only natural ingredients, such as caffeine, green tea extract, carnitine, and turmeric. You should also stay away from fat burners if you have heart conditions, as the stimulants can increase heart rate and cardiac arrhythmia.
For Healthtrends #1 recommended fat burner for women, click here.