While green juices come in a variety of forms, it’s important to ensure the highest quality products so that you can reap all the health benefits.
Best overall: Organifi
Best green juice for weight loss: Organifi
Best tasting green juice: Athletic Greens
Best bottled green juice: 7 Select Organic Juice
Best detox green juice: Detox Organics
Best green juice powder: Organifi
1. Organifi Green Juice
The base of Organifi includes some of the healthiest options possible such as ashwagandha, coconut water, beets, spirulina, turmeric, and other power foods.
While there are often green juice concerns regarding taste, Organifi is one of the few options that has been highly praised for a palatable taste. Since it comes in a powder form, there is a high amount of versatility that could allow for it to be used in meals or drinks as preferred. For these reasons, it’s our #1 pick.
2. LiveWell Beyond Greens
LiveWell’s Beyond Greens powder includes a variety of different superfoods to help support whole body health. It combines 4 different strains of mushrooms to help promote an overall feeling of calmness.
Beyond Greens comes in a delicious light matcha flavor for easy drinking, making it one of the most palatable and potent green superfood powders on the market.
3. Athletic Greens
Athletic Greens lives up to its commitment to provide health benefits with a boost of greens in every serving. It is boosted with numerous greens including kale and serves its purpose very well.
Though there are many green juice options available, there are very few that can claim to be as lifestyle friendly as this brand: keto, paleo, vegan, vegetarian, and low-carb, are all represented through the formulation of this supplement. Plus, it tastes pretty good too.
4. Detox Organics Chocolate Superfoods
In addition to popular ingredients such as kale, spirulina, and wheatgrass, there is also a significant dose of superfoods such as acai and beetroot. Detox Organics includes no fillers, artificial ingredients, sweeteners or any of the additional elements that could decrease the number of health benefits provided through the use of this supplement.
It also brings with it an appetizing taste which should alleviate some of the fear and uncertainty often found when first beginning green juice supplementation.
5. Legion Athletics Greens
This all-natural green juice powder makes itself unique by using a special blend of greens, vitamins, and antioxidants.
The all-natural, non-GMO certification also provides an extra incentive for those who may be interested in trying this easily accessible supplement. There have been a few concerns regarding taste, but that may be a small hurdle for some.
6. Battle Ready Fuel Super Greens
Despite the many greens included in this formulation, there is also a substantial number of superfoods, grasses, and fibers which make this one of the more well-rounded products available on the market.
Though there are some bitter options such as alfalfa powder and wheatgrass powder, there are still many other included ingredients that make this more palatable than expected. Additionally, it has ingredients that are all-natural and organic, which only helps to add to the health factor here.
7. Amazing Grass Green Superfood
Amazing Grass Green Superfood provides traditional blend of green grasses, as well as a significant number of antioxidant extracts to further boost anti-inflammation and help with chronic diseases.
Though it may not come with the same amount of green superfoods, that doesn’t diminish all of the good elements found in this all-organic supplement.
8. Garden of Life Organic Green Powder
Garden of Life’s Organic Green Powder has a mountain of superfoods and vitamins included making it one of the supplements with the most value for your money. The taste is also great.
With tart cherry, chia seed, ginger, and garlic the mix of tastes lend itself well to good health that is still pleasant to consume.
9. Peak Performance Organic Greens
Peak Performance Organic Greens does a great job of giving you a lot of greens and berries with a mix of anti-inflammatory ingredients. You’ll primarily see ingredients such as kale, spinach, and spirulina, with blueberry, green tea, and turmeric making it a very eclectic mix.
The main drawback for some with this supplement will be additional flavors and Stevia used in the formulation.
10. Orgain Organic Plant-Based Protein
While it may not have name recognition on its side, Orgain’s plant-based protein powder delivers on a massively solid option for those needing to supplement and complete their intake of greens.
You’ll also get a substantial amount of fiber to round out your health needs. Though it doesn’t have a lot of fruit and berries, it is a reliable choice.
11. Pure Hawaiian Spirulina Powder
Though this supplement may not fit the needs of everyone, it still has a good deal of benefits for those who try it. Though it does have a substantial focus on Spirulina use, there are still enough greens and antioxidants to make this purchase worth it.
It would generally be best for those who may be using other vitamin supplements or are looking for the simplest option possible.
Best Green Juice For Weight Loss
1. Organifi Green Juice
Organifi green juice includes a wide variety of leafy greens, that’s free of pesticides, fillers and preservatives.
It takes top spot as the best green juice for weight loss for including powerful superfoods to help support your weight loss efforts.
Best Tasting Green Juice
1. Athletic Greens
Athletic Greens is a top tier green juice that contains a variety of mineral, nutrients and adaptogens to help cleanse, balance and detox the body.
It takes top spot as the best tasting green juice for providing a smooth and refreshing taste that isn’t grainy.
Best Bottled Green Juice
1. 7 Select Organic Juice
7 Select Organic Juice is a fresh bottled green juice that makes it easy to get your daily dose of vegetables.
It takes top spot as the best bottled green juice for providing a low sugar and high vitamin formula that’s both shelf stable and tastes great.
Best Detox Green Juice
3. Detox Organics Chocolate Superfoods
Detox Organics includes a variety of leafy greens and superfoods to help naturally detox the body.
It takes top spot as the best detox green juice for including a variety of chocolate superfoods to enhance the body’s natural detoxification process.
Best Green Juice Powder
1. Organifi Green Juice
Organifi includes the basic greens alongside powerful adaptogens such as ashwagandha to help lower stress and inflammation.
It takes top spot as the best green juice powder for providing a powerful organic formulation of gently dried superfoods.
How We Rank
One of the most important factors we considered was the number of extracts, concentrates, or powders included in each supplement. Though there was a high focus placed on fruits and vegetables, we also wanted to identify products that included Spirulina or Chlorella as well to round out the benefits provided.
The delivery method was also considered to be an important factor when choosing our rankings. Though there are multiple products that come in a liquid form rather than powder, we wanted to focus on powder supplements only. Powders allow users to include them in food and beverages based on preference and make them more convenient. This is why all of our highly ranked products, like Battle Fuel and Athletic Greens, are powdered.
We also looked for products that had a more natural base and less artificial ingredients. In general, we tried to remove all traces of artificial ingredients when possible. This is why products like Genesis by Legion Athletics ranked so highly on our list.
In line with our choice to focus on more natural products, we decided to exclude products that contained caffeine. Caffeine is a stimulant that can often have many adverse effects. Not only could it have detrimental effects on your health, but it could also affect sleep habits and make it difficult to get a restful sleep.
We also looked at the specific ingredients in each formulation. We looked for products that had a wide array of fruits and vegetables and used ingredients that had scientific evidence on their side. Preference was given to supplements, like Organifi, that included fruits, berries, vegetables, and vitamins to round out the health effects.
Additionally, we looked closer at the list of any added ingredients for each formulation. Those that included anti-inflammatory elements such as turmeric were placed higher on the list. This is also true of brands that touted probiotic or prebiotic ingredients. Ultimately, we wanted products that would be a great asset to digestive health as well as that of the overall human body.
1. Green juices help boost metabolism. Kelp is a common green addition to green powders, best known as a natural source of iodine, which is a mineral much of the population is deficient in (3).
Yes, even iodine-enriched salts are seen to quickly lose iodine during the cooking process (4).
Iodine is important to boost metabolism because it directly supports their thyroid function (5).
One recent Russian study gave a kelp extract to patients and saw a significant 10-pound reduction in fat over 12 weeks because the kelp seemed to increase their resting metabolic rate (6).
2. Green juice helps support fat loss. A new study came out linking vegetable consumption with fat loss (7).
By providing micronutrients and other often overlooked nutrients feeds the body on a cellular level to provide satiety and fights cravings.
3. Green juices increase energy and reduce mental fatigue. All over the world doctors note that cases of unexplainable fatigue are growing (8).
Researchers discovered that because of the typical American diet, low in plant-based foods, many men and women are low in micronutrients, which are necessary for top-notch health and energy. (9).
According to the Journal of International Medical Research, green foods provide you with micronutrients in a way that is easily absorbed by the body so that you can increase your energy and reduce mental fatigue (10).
4. Chlorella in green juices boosts immune function. Chlorella, a common addition to green juices, works to detoxify the body (11).
Chlorella’s high surface area to volume ratio allows it to cling onto heavy metals and other impurities moving around your body (12).
Research on mice being fed lead showed that chlorella supplementation works to prevent lead poisoning (13).
In humans, supplementing with chlorella has been seen to enhance the immune system in patients in as few as 8 weeks of supplementing (14).
In fact, spirulina is 60% protein by weight making it the most protein-packed food on the face of the Earth (16).
But again, those benefits are only tested in mice. In humans, eating spirulina leads to enhanced fat loss results (17).
It seems that spirulina works to increase satiety from its high protein content as well as its impressive nutritional profile (18).
6. Spirulina can help with heavy metal detoxification. Research has shown that similar to chlorella, spirulina can assist in heavy metal detoxification (19).
7. Barley grass in green powders lowers cholesterol. Barley grass is another popular green food component and is most popular for lowering your cholesterol by improving fat metabolism (20).
Regularly consuming barley grass in a green juice supplement offers protection against heart disease through two mechanisms: First, with your total cholesterol lowered you have a significantly lower chance of your serum cholesterol becoming oxidized and forming plaque (21).
Second, barley grass is a potent antioxidant, meaning that it can help prevent or repair oxidative stress before cholesterol forms plaques in your body in the first place (22).
As a whole, these phytonutrients have no recommended daily values- some haven’t even been isolated and discovered yet.
However, research shows that phytonutrients actually decrease diseases, such as cancer, heart disease, and certain autoimmune conditions (24).
9. Wheatgrass is rich in satiating chlorophyll. Many claims about wheatgrass may be exaggerated due to its popularity, there is some merit to using a green juice supplement containing wheatgrass (25).
The main benefit is that wheatgrass is high in chlorophyll, the chemical that makes plants green (26).
One study showed that chlorophyll amplified feelings of satiety to cut down on overeating for 20 obese women (27).
Additionally, chlorophyll is seen to boost recovery from injury from infection to keep your immune system going strong and dramatically cut down on sick days (28).
Alfalfa has been seen to anecdotally to fix cases of gastrointestinal distress (30).
11. Green juice with probiotics has long-reaching health benefits. Not all green juice supplements feature probiotics. By adding in probiotics, you fuel the “good” gut bacteria you have that has long-reaching health effects from making you feel happier, increasing satiety, and boosting your immune system (31).
12. Green drinks help keep the heart-healthy. A diet high in nitrates, coming from leafy greens, has shown to have long-term heart and circulatory benefits. (32)
13. Broccoli sprout, found in many green drinks, protects against disease. When ingested, broccoli sprout triggers the production of certain disease protecting proteins (33).
It has also shown to be anti-cancer as well as hav3 anti-inflammatory effects in the body (34).
14. Reishi mushrooms can help prevent aging. Another popular ingredient found in many green juices is the mushroom of immortality, or better yet, Reishi. Reishi has shown to protect the DNA from oxidative damage, which is a big player in the aging process (35).
15. Spinach in green drinks helps to prevent and heal acne. Spinach is great for your skin because it’s full of vitamin A, which helps to repair wounds (aka inflammation and old acne breakouts) and helps to keep your skin cells healthy.
Spinach also has a ton of vitamin C, which is needed for collagen production. Collagen production is very important when you’re healing after breakouts because it helps to grow new cells and repair old ones.
16. Green juices can assist in heavy metal detoxification. Green juices contain a myriad of ingredients. In general, green juices will have a mixture of fruits, vegetables, and minerals. This mixture provides a plethora of health benefits including alkalization of the body.
Among the many ingredients found in traditional green juice mixtures, spirulina tends to be one of the most well-known. Spirulina is an organism that grows in both fresh and saltwater. Classified as a type of cyanobacteria, this single-celled microbe is often referred to as an algae and can produce energy from multiple sources through photosynthesis.
In terms of the human body, Spirulina acts as an alkalizing agent. During the process of alkalization, the human body becomes more efficient and helps to fight free-radical damage and inflammation. This process supports healthy cellular regeneration within the body promoting positive health.
In many studies, Spirulina has been shown as a chelating agent for removing toxins from the blood. These substances include heavy metals such as mercury and cadmium which may prove detrimental when present in large numbers within the body (35).
Though this has been seen as a positive effect during research studies, there is still a need to study and conclude the more definitive effects of Spirulina within the human body.
17. Green juice can support weight loss. Green juices are comprised of multiple fruits and vegetables. While there are multiple health benefits provided within these supplement options, there is also a higher chance of weight loss when consuming these products.
Though green juice products come in powder form rather than the food form directly, the health benefits found within the source can often translate to other forms of consumption as well. In this specific case, the number of fruits and vegetables included in green juices acts as a component of a healthy diet and workout regimen.
In previous studies, fiber has been shown to be a key element in weight loss and decreasing fat. Green vegetables, which form the base of most green juices, are known to be high in fiber thus acting as a catalyst for weight loss during consumption.
During another research study published in 2009, participants were directed to consume high vegetable and high fruit diets for 3 months. During this time, the overall health of each participant increased. Most notably, however, was a decrease in both fat and weight following a consistent intake of high-fiber foods (36).
While green juice products are not a substitute for a regular diet, they can be used as an added component. Those who choose to supplement using green juices should be mindful of their intake to ensure they maintain healthy recommend levels of traditional vitamins and minerals.
1. Green juices may be unnecessary. If you already consume 10 or more servings of vegetables a day green juice formulas are a waste of money (37). They simply result in expensive pee.
2. You may miss out on certain vitamins. If you don’t consume your green juices with a fat OR you don’t use formulations that have bipolar, or amphipathic, compounds you could be missing out on vitamins A, E, and K (37).
Amphipathic molecules bind to water and fat to boost the absorption of fat-soluble nutrients. When you’re shopping around for a green powder look on the label for lecithin or phosphatidylcholine, the two most popular bipolar compounds used (38).
3. Alkalizing claims of green juices have no validity. One study looked at athletes taking alkaline supplements to change the pH of their blood and increase their exercise performance ( by boosting lactic acid threshold) (39).
The results were minimal at best because blood pH is tightly regulated and not something changed with a daily supplement.
4. Green juices are not a substitute for real vegetables. Vegetables work synergistically to boost antioxidant activity in their whole, unprocessed form, but these same benefits are not seen in green food powders (40).
5. Green juices may be contaminated with heavy metals. Green juice supplements may be contaminated with heavy metals such as lead, cadmium, and arsenic depending on their manufacturer. Seek out a reputable company to make sure your green juice supplement is not contaminated.
6. Green juices may have low amounts of promised vegetables. While companies have to report what goes into their formulations, they don’t have to post how much goes into their formulations. The rule is that the ingredients are listed in order of amount used (41).
7. Probiotics in green juices may not be viable by the time of consumption. Probiotics are only beneficial if they’re still alive (42).
Many green food supplements are not typically refrigerated or handled as carefully as probiotic supplements are causing many of the probiotics to die before you can start taking your green powder (43).
8. ORAC scores of green juices may be misleading. Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity (ORAC) is used to express how well a nutrient can fight oxidative stress (44).
The issue is that ORAC scores are calculated in vitro or in a test tube environment which does not represent the actual antioxidant ability as seen when you compare ORAC scores with other tests of oxidative ability (45).
9. Green powders can interfere with muscle recovery. Your body needs that oxidative stress to signal that you need to come back stronger, faster, and more enduring than before (46).
Supplementing with a green juice may reduce this signal and reduce your body’s adaptation to your physical training (47).
10. Green juices can cause allergic reactions. When choosing to take a new supplement, there is always the possibility of an allergic reaction. Green juices are comprised of multiple fruits, vegetables, and minerals that may cause an allergic reaction. Allergic reactions occur when the human body comes in contact with a protein identified by the immune system as potentially harmful. The severity of the reaction can vary greatly from person to person.
In most cases, those who experience an allergic reaction to green juices will generally experience mild symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, or dizziness. In some cases, however, symptoms could become more severe. If an allergic reaction occurs, it is recommended that patients cease consumption of the supplement and consult a physician as soon as possible.
It’s recommended to have one serving of green juice a day for general purposes (or according to manufacturer’s directions) (48).
To bolster the immune system in the winter months (or during a time of excess stress), an additional dose can and should be taken (49).
Should you consume green drinks in the morning or evening? There is no scientific literature that proves one time of the day is better than the other to consume greek drinks. However, many people prefer the morning because it helps them feel alive and strong first thing in the morning.
Are green drinks the same as detox drinks? No, green drinks are meant to support overall health and well-being while detox drinks are meant to flush out toxins in your body.
Do green drinks help with weight loss? Yes, studies show that green drinks help with weight loss by increasing metabolism and satiety.
Should I drink green juice before or after a workout? Skip the juice right before or while you’re exercising fructose, the primary sugar in fruit takes longer to digest than other sugars (like those in sports drinks), so drinking juice before or during exercise may cause stomach cramps.
Do green drinks benefit the skin? Yes, green juice has been shown to help to make the skin glow and to fight off acne.
Can green juice replace a meal? While drinking green juice can be an excellent way to increase your daily servings of vegetables, most juices aren’t sufficient to be full-blown meal replacements, due to the lack of calories. Try thinking of green juice as a health supplement, like a multivitamin, not a meal replacement.
Are juicing and green drinks the same? No, green drinks are often pre-mixed, freeze-dried powders of vegetables whereas green juice is usually freshly pressed vegetables and fruit.
Are all green drinks the same? No, it is important to buy high quality organic green drinks.
Is ORAC important? Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity (ORAC) is used to express how well a nutrient can fight oxidative stress (50).
It’s not as important as we once thought because it is often tested in a lab environment that is not conducive to real life.
Are green juices better than eating vegetables and fruit? They are neither better or worse but different. Green drinks and juices tend to contain much higher concentrations of vitamins and minerals than vegetables however they miss out on all the fiber. It’s best to include both drinks and whole food vegetables into your diet.
Can you drink green juice every day? Drinking green juice every day is an easy way to replenish the nutrients your immune system needs. Get the nutrients your immune system needs with a daily green juice.
Can I drink green juice after coffee? The easiest way to enjoy the benefits of a green juice is to drink it as your morning meal, at least an hour before or after your coffee (the acidity of which will negate the juice’s alkalizing effects), and never with a cooked meal.
Can you live off of juicing? There is no evidence that shows you can or can’t live off of green juice.
Does Juicing kill nutrients? Juicing extracts the juice from fresh fruits or vegetables. The resulting liquid contains most of the vitamins, minerals and plant chemicals (phytonutrients) found in the whole fruit. However, whole fruits and vegetables also have healthy fiber, which is lost during most juicing.
Are there benefits to consuming green juices while pregnant? Yes, as pregnancy can often cause vitamin and nutrient deficiencies consumption of green juices is highly recommended. Doing so can often supplement any potential nutrient loss that may occur during the natural process of pregnancy. Green juice drinkers should, however, purchase their product with caution avoiding products that contain stimulants such as caffeine. It is recommended that you consult with your physician prior to beginning use.
Are green juices good to consume while breastfeeding? Yes, green juices can prove to be very healthy for women who are breastfeeding. Similar to pregnancy, nursing mothers can be placed at increased risk of nutrient and vitamin deficiencies as these are often to the infant through breastmilk. Consuming green juices helps to supplement and stave off these possible deficiencies. It is important, however, to choose a high-quality option free of caffeine to ensure the best possible health benefits for both mother and baby
Where are the best places to purchase green juice products? Purchasing a green juice product can be done in multiple ways. The best choice for each person will vary greatly due to location and overall accessibility. For those who would prefer to purchase their chosen product from a store, it is recommended that you do so from a reputable business. This is equally true of online purchases.
Can green juices promote good heart health? Yes, green juices can be very beneficial for heart health. Studies have frequently shown a link between a healthy diet filled with fruits and vegetables to be the cornerstone of heart health. Those who consume more vegetables, fruit, and fiber often have lower cholesterol and a lesser chance of stroke and heart attack. These benefits can also be found when consuming green juice products.
When should I drink green juice? Green drinks should ideally be consumed on an empty stomach at least 30 minutes before a meal. This allows your body to absorb all the nutrients.
Is green juice enough to replace breakfast? Probably not. If you exercise pretty aggressively, it’s important to replenish your tissues with adequate protein, which is often not done by a green juice alone. You would need to mix the green drink with protein powders and fruit for it to become ideal.
Green juice supplements, whether fresh or prepackaged, are a convenient and ideal way to start your day if you’re a high-class athlete looking for extra nutrition or a beginner looking to consume more nutrient-rich, calorie-light foods.
Green juices have been scientifically proven to fight off disease, burn fat and increase energy- especially in the winter months when many people are susceptible to the winter blues.
Be sure to seek out trusted brands to ensure the best product for your investment. Or better yet, buy fresh and juice yourself.
For Healthtrends #1 recommended green Juice, click here.