Grocery delivery services bring food to you so that you don’t have to visit the store yourself. They can save you a substantial amount of time, and may also be of benefit to those with limited mobility. Studies estimate that many Americans spend almost 45 minutes every day traveling to the store and shopping for food (1).
Grocery delivery services allow you to save time by spending less of your day at the store. They can also be useful for those who have issues moving around or carrying heavy bags, such as the elderly or people who have recently been injured. They are also a great option for people who don’t have a car and don’t have any grocery stores within walking distance.
There are some downsides to using grocery delivery services. They tend to come with a number of fees, which can add to your monthly grocery bills. You may have to pay for an additional monthly subscription fee if you want to use the service. There is also always the risk that you will receive damaged fruits and vegetables, as well as other items that were not what you ordered.
1. Grocery delivery services help you save time by avoiding the grocery store. One of the main benefits of using grocery delivery services is the amount of time that you can save going to the store and shopping.
One study estimates that the person in the household responsible for grocery shopping spends an average of 45 minutes per day at the store. The study also found that women were significantly more likely to be the one shopping (2).
Grocery delivery services can save people almost an hour per day on average, traveling to the store and shopping.
2. Grocery delivery services make getting food for the elderly easier. As people age, going to the store becomes more and more of a burden. Elderly people often struggle with the amount of time it takes to get to the store, and heavy bags can put them at risk of injury (3).
Many elderly people don’t get the food they need because they are unable to go to the store. Grocery delivery services make it significantly easier for them to eat a balanced diet and keep their pantry stocked.
Furthermore, many services allow you to create shopping lists that you can use every time you need food, without having to go back through and individually select items.
If an elderly person is unable to order the food themselves, their friends or relatives can have it delivered for them, ensuring that they always have enough food to eat.
3. Grocery delivery services help avoid impulse shopping. One significant disadvantage of visiting grocery stores in person is that you’re much more likely to make impulse purchases. Grocery delivery services allow you to create lists and filter out food that you don’t want. This makes it easier to choose healthy food and stick to any dietary restrictions you have.
Furthermore, you can shop by healthy categories, with a number of lists created to help you eat a balanced diet. This makes it much easier to avoid unhealthy food, as you won’t have to walk through isles in the grocery packed with sugary and processed food.
4. Grocery delivery services easily find the food you need. It can be difficult to find the food you need while shopping in a grocery store, especially if you have specific dietary needs. Not all food will be labeled, so you may end up buying items that you cannot eat.
Grocery delivery services come with filters that allow you only to select food that meets certain criteria. For example, you can filter out any food that is not kosher, or have the service only show you food that is gluten-free.
5. Grocery delivery services can help people with injuries. If you’ve recently suffered an injury that impacts your mobility, it can be difficult to get the food you need. Many people have to rely on friends, family, or a partner to get groceries for them, which can be an added strain on the people around them.
Grocery delivery services are a great temporary solution for anyone who has recently suffered an injury that prevents them from going to the store and carrying groceries.
6. Grocery delivery services allow you to get food without a car. Many people who live in cities do not have a car, so getting to the grocery store can be difficult, especially when there are none within walking distance. Grocery delivery services make it easier for those without a car to shop and get the food they need.
Most services have delivery areas that cover many stores that would be out of walking distance, giving you access to food that you could not reach on your own. They can also save you the trouble of using public transportation and save money on ride-sharing services.
7. Grocery delivery services help you order all of your groceries with a click. Another major benefit of grocery delivery services is that they allow you to reorder from past grocery lists. If you want to have the same food delivered, all you have to do is click reorder from your previous shopping list.
Some services will also allow you to create multiple preset shopping lists. To order, simply select the list that contains the items you want.
8. Grocery delivery services help you track and manage spending. Although you can track spending when you shop yourself, keeping accounts and remembering receipts can be difficult. Grocery delivery systems record every order that you make, so you will always be able to go back and see how much you have spent on food.
Since you have all of your past orders right in front of you as you shop, you can easily budge out expenses for the month and make sure that you’re not spending too much money on food.
9. Grocery delivery services make life easier for people with kids. Bringing kids to the grocery store can be a serious headache, making an already exhausting chore even more demanding. Grocery delivery services mean you won’t have to worry about dragging your kids along with you or finding someone to look after them as you shop.
10. Grocery delivery services make sure you never run out of food. If you have a busy schedule or work odd hours, it can be difficult to find the time to get to the store. Although grocery delivery services will not deliver at all hours, most will accept orders any time of the day, so you can shop when you have free time.
11. Grocery delivery services can let you virtually handpick items. Many grocery delivery services are implementing chat services that allow you to talk to the person who is picking up your food. If they run into any issues as they shop, such as unavailable items, they can ask you what you would like them to do.
You can also give them instructions from the chat for what type of produce and meat you would like. This can help prevent one of the major downsides of using delivery services, which is that produce is sometimes damaged.
12. Grocery delivery services let you pick up from the store to save more money. Many grocery delivery services will also give you the option of picking up groceries yourself at the store, with a courier who shops for you. If you are passing by the store on your way home, you can pick up your food and save some money on the delivery fee.
13. Grocery delivery services help you avoid lines. Another benefit of using grocery delivery services is that you’ll never have to stand in line at the store. This is especially helpful for people who can only shop in the evening when stores tend to be the most crowded.
When you fill out your order online, the service lets you choose the next available delivery time, so you won’t have to spend any time waiting to pay.
14. Grocery delivery services offer refunds for poor food quality. One of the complaints frequently made against delivery services is that the food is not always fresh. However, services have begun to improve, with faster delivery and better cooling, meaning your food doesn’t sit out as long.
Furthermore, many services offer refunds in the case of any spoiled or damaged food. If you believe that you should receive a refund, you select the item in your order and give a reason for your refund request.
15. Grocery delivery services help you stay out of traffic. If you shop after work, you’ve likely faced the frustration of getting stuck in traffic on your way home. More than just a headache, this can cause your food to spoil as you wait to get home.
Delivery services mean you won’t have to spend any time sitting in traffic after going to the store. You can also choose for your food to be delivered at a time of day when there are few cars on the road so that your groceries are less likely to spoil during delivery.
1. Grocery delivery services can be expensive. One of the main downsides of using grocery delivery services is that you’ll have to pay extra money for shopping and delivery. Depending on the service you choose and the number of orders you place per month, these fees can add up.
2. Grocery delivery services don’t let you handpick your food. Another downside to using delivery services is that you cannot pick out items yourself. Although this is not an issue for prepackaged food, it can sometimes cause frustration when ordering produce. Many users complain that they occasionally receive bruised or damaged fruit and vegetables, as well as cuts of meat that are not what they ordered. Some services will refund the item if you show proof, but it can take time and effort to get your money back.
3. Food quality may be poor. Another risk of using a delivery service is that food can spoil. Although services continue to improve, users report occasional deliveries that are left out in the sun on hot days, causing food to spoil before they can store it. If you live in a rural area, services may not deliver to you, or may only do some with limited options. Some will also charge additional fees if you live outside of the main delivery area.
Not every grocery delivery service will be available in your area, so you may have to check multiple companies before you find one that will deliver to you.
Some services will require that you schedule your delivery at least 24 hours in advance, so make sure you know your service’s delivery options before you place an order.
If you are in a rush, you may be able to find a service that can deliver within a few hours, although this service is usually only available in major cities.
Depending on the service, you may have to sign up for a monthly subscription if you want to place orders. If you don’t want to commit to a monthly fee, you can find a few services that only charge fees per order, although they tend to be a bit more expensive.
When you order, items will sometimes not be available. Many services will alert you when an item is not available, and offer you a substitute that is similar. If you don’t want the substitute, you can decline it, and the item will not be charged.
Do grocery delivery services require a subscription? It depends on the service. Some will require that you pay a monthly fee to use the service, in addition to delivery fees that you pay for every order. However, you can also find a number of delivery services that only charge a fee when you use the service.
How much do grocery delivery services cost? It will depend on the service you choose. Many have a monthly fee that you’ll have to pay, often around $15. They’ll then charge a delivery fee for every order, which is usually around $5, although it varies by service.
Some services will automatically add a service tip as well, while others allow you to choose the exact amount you want to tip for your order. This usually adds another $5 to $10 per order.
Are items from grocery delivery services more expensive than in the store? For most services, no. Items will be listed for the same price that you would pay if you visited the store yourself. The services make money through subscription fees and delivery fees, and the couriers who bring your orders get most of their money through tips.
However, you may not get the same discounts that you would get if you shopped in-store, so some items can end up being more expensive than if you shopped yourself.
How long does it take for your grocery delivery service order to arrive? The delivery time will vary widely depending on the service, your location, and when you order. Some services, such as Amazon Fresh, offer delivery within 2 hours if you live in select cities, although you may have to pay extra for faster delivery.
Most services can deliver your food within a day of your order, and you can often pay more to expedite the order if you need items in a rush.
Can you shop from different stores? It depends on the service. Some services are independent, so they are not directly tied to any grocery stores. They will often let you shop from multiple different stores in your area, although you may have to pay extra if you want them to combine items from multiple stores in one order.
Other services, such as Amazon Fresh, only bring items from the company itself, so you won’t be able to shop at any stores that are not owned by the same company as the service.
What’s the best grocery delivery service? The best service will largely depend on where you live and the stores around you. Check the services that offer delivery in your area and see what items are available, as you can often find a company that has a greater variety of products than other services.
How is the food packaged when it’s delivered? Most services will use sealed freezer bags to keep food that spoils good for a few hours. Other non-perishable items are usually delivered in paper bags, although some services will deliver food in reusable bins.
Although food comes in freezer bags, they will only keep food from spoiling for a few hours, so you’ll need to be around to pick up your order soon after it’s delivered.
Can you have your grocery delivery service to other people? With most services, yes, provided that the person lives in the service’s delivery area. To have food delivered to another person, you often just have to change the delivery address before you order, and many services also allow you to list multiple addresses so that you can just click on the one you want to send to.
How do grocery delivery services work? The grocery bills the customer and markets the service, and you do the work. Your customers give you their orders, you place them and then sell your service at a profit.
Can you make money delivering groceries? This is a great opportunity for someone looking for a flexible schedule to make money delivering groceries to customers in their community. When you accept a job via an on-demand delivery app, you will shop for the items based on the order details and then deliver them to the customer. You can make up to $25 per hour.
Do you tip grocery delivery? Judging by some forums, many grocery store chains don’t allow delivery people to accept tips. Others tip anywhere from $2 to $10 depending on the number of bags and/or total price. Just like other delivery services, keep in mind that many workers rely on their tips.
Grocery delivery services shop for you so that you don’t have to go to the store, dropping your food off at the front door. They are a convenient way of saving time and effort and can be of help to people who cannot shop on their own. Studies have shown that many Americans spend upwards of 45 minutes per day going to the store and shopping for food (4).
Grocery delivery services can save you a significant amount of time, as well as save you the hassle of having to drive to the store. Grocery delivery services can also be of immense benefit to those who are unable to shop on their own, such as the elderly or injured people. They bring the food directly to you, so you won’t have to carry heavy bags and risk injury.
Furthermore, grocery delivery services can make it easier to stay on a diet and avoid unwanted food items. Most services allow you to filter out certain types of food, such as those that contain gluten, so that you can find items that suit your needs.
Although delivery services can be of benefit to many people, they do come with a few downsides. Most services will require you to pay a subscription fee, as well as a delivery fee with each order.
There is also the risk that you will receive produce that is bruised or damaged, and you’ll have to be around to store the food so that it doesn’t spoil.