Non stick pans are cooking tools that have a surface to prevent food from burning or clinging. This makes them one of the best ways of cooking with less oil, helping to reduce calories and promote weight loss. However, non stick surface can be dangerous if it’s exposed to high temperatures.
Non stick pans are also not the best option for browning food, as the coating can prevent a crisp outer layer from forming on food.
Best Non Stick Pans
1. T-Fal E765SH Non-Stick 17 Piece Set
Our top pick for non-stick pans rests in this sleek and modern 17-piece set from T-Fal. This pan set will fully stock your kitchen with non-stick cookware and even comes with a steamer. These pans are designed with anodized aluminum and work perfectly with all types of heat. They also won’t have an acidic reaction with the food you cook.
The T-Fal non-stick pans are scratch resistant and built to last with riveted handles, vented lids, and dishwasher-safe materials. You’ll be hard pressed to find a more durable and reliable non stick pan set for a better price.
2. Calphalon 2029617 Nonstick 8-Piece Cookware Set
Calphalon is another trusted premium kitchen brand whose non-stick cookware is almost incomparable to other brands in both quality and price. This 8-piece non stick pan set contains all of your cookware basics and also comes in 11 or 13-piece sets if you feel like you need additional pieces.
The Calphalon non-stick coating on these pots and pans is tested to last 40% longer than its competitors and is also dishwasher safe. This specific Calphalon set is compatible with gas, electric, and glass top stoves and can withstand oven heat up to 450 degrees.
3. Home Hero Copper Pots and Pans Set 13-Piece
Home Hero Copper Pots provide a lot of health benefits while staying stylish and non stick. This 13-piece set falls into a reasonable price range and includes a myriad of cookware pieces including a steaming set.
These pans have a non-stick ceramic coating and are compatible with any type of cooking setting, including induction cooktops. The Home Hero Copper Pots are even oven safe and come with a satisfaction guarantee.
4. GreenLife Soft Grip 16-Piece Non-Stick Ceramic Cookware Set
With the GreenLife Soft Grip pan set, you get a unique design that comes in multiple color options including lavender, red, pink, turquoise, blue, and black.
This set is designed with an aluminum reinforced body and the grips are stay cool comfort grips that make them oven friendly. These ceramic non-stick pans are also dishwasher safe, allowing for easy clean up. Compared to other non stick pans on the market, this cookware set comes at a very affordable price but still delivers high-quality results.
5. Cooker King 8-piece Non-Stick Cookware Set
This 8-piece set from Cooker King includes your cookware basics that are perfect for amping up your non-stick kitchenware. These non-stick pots and pans are aluminum reinforced and have a scratch-resistant surface to keep them looking great.
This set is both oven safe and dishwasher safe.
6. Rachael Ray Cucina 12-Piece Non-Stick Cookware Set
This gorgeous 12-piece set, by cooking queen Rachel Ray, is available in several fun colors to match your kitchen including lavender, yellow, agave blue, brown, orange, and red.
These pots and pans are hard enamel porcelain with a non-stick aluminum coating that is scratch-resistant. All pieces are oven safe and great for the stovetop but not recommended for induction.
7. Cuisinart 66-17N Chef’s Classis Non-Stick 17-Piece Set
This non stick pan set from Cuisinart comes in 17, 14, 11 and 7 pieces, depending on your budget and needs.
These non-stick cooking pieces are reinforced with titanium and are stronger than stainless steel which make them wear-resistant and oven-safe.
8. Farberware 21896 15-Piece Nonstick Cookware
Farberware, much like Cuisinart, is another brand often overlooked because it has a highly affordable price tag attached. This set comes in a variety of colors to match your decor, including aqua, black, blue, copper, purple, red, or teal
The Farberware pans are non-stick and scratch-resistant that are both dishwasher and oven safe.
9. Michelangelo Granite 10-Piece Nonstick Cookware Set
This ultra-non-stick Michelangelo cookware set is granite which makes it both heavy-duty and fashionable. The stone interior is coated with a scratch-resistant coating that keep the stone and granite aesthetics, while giving you the non-stick surface you are really after.
This set is dishwasher and oven safe, and also induction friendly.
10. All-Clad Essentials 10-Piece Nonstick Cookware Set
This 10-piece cookware set from All-Clad is another premium set that includes a variety of pieces, including a square skillet. Only 3 of the pieces included in the set have accompanying lids, which may be slightly inconvenient for some dishes.
These pans are aluminum stainless steel and have a scratch-resistant nonstick layer that makes them dishwasher safe.
How We Rank
The first thing we looked at, when formulating our rankings for the best non stick pans on the market, was the versatility of the pans. We wanted to include a variety of non-stick pans, like Farberware, that could be used on various surfaces for multi-purpose functionality, as this allowed for easy cooking and transition between elements and cooking methods. This also allowed for the option of one pot cooking, which drastically minimizes clean up. The Home Hero and Michelangelo sets take it one step further with providing you sets that can be used with induction cooking, which can often be hard to find.
The material and make up of the pans was also an important factor to consider. Stainless steel pans aren’t non stick and were axed unless they had an aluminum or nonstick overlay. Pans like the ones from T-Fal and Calphalon, ranked well because hay have anodized aluminum. This allows the exterior to be a stylish material while ensuring the exterior is well-made and protected from both scratching and sticking.
We chose to share full sets of non stick pans in our rankings because we wanted to make sure you would be covered with your basic pots and pans and have additional non stick pans available. Cooker King and Calphalon 8-piece sets are the bare minimum but they have just enough while Farberware and Cuisinart provide a little bit of everything you could possibly need for a non stick pan. After all this, we determined the top 10 best non stick pans on the market.
1. Non stick pans can save time. Non stick pans prevent food from clinging to the surface, making clean up much easier when you’re done cooking. You won’t have to try to scour food bits off the pan, and can also save water and dish soap.
In many cases, you can clean off the pan by simply wiping it off with a paper towel, without even having to use water.
2. Non stick pans make cooking easier. It’s frustrating to spend hours preparing a meal, only for the food to get stuck to the pan. With non stick pans, you can make cooking easier by preventing food from sticking to your pans or burning.
3. Non stick pans are healthy. Although it is commonly said that non stick pans have health risks, they are safe if used properly. There is little risk of food contamination or dangerous fumes from non stick coatings.
However, you should not use non stick pans at extreme temperatures, as the coating can begin to melt. Avoid putting them under a broiler in the oven, as the high temperatures could produce dangerous fumes.
4. Non stick pans help save money. Cookware can be a significant expense, with stainless steel and copper pans often costing well over $100. Non stick pans are usually made from aluminum, which makes them far less expensive than stainless steel and copper pans.
5. Non stick pans won’t react to acids. Many commonly used types of pans, including those made of cast iron, will react strongly if you cook acidic foods. This can lead to a metallic taste that ruins the flavor of dishes made with foods such as tomatoes.
Non stick pans don’t react to acidic foods, preserving the flavor of dishes and preventing any unwanted metallic taste.
6. Non stick pans help cut down on fats. To keep food from sticking in stainless steel pans, you often have to use a large amount of cooking fat. Although this can help prevent dishes from burning, it adds a significant number of calories to each meal.
Non stick pans have a coating that prevents food from sticking or burning, even with small amounts of cooking oil. This lets you cut fat out of your diet and lose weight without eating less food. One cup of butter contains almost 1900 calories. If you cook multiple meals per day, this can add up to hundreds of calories of added fat to your diet. This can also help you lower cholesterol.
7. Non stick pans help make great eggs. It can be difficult to cook eggs in stainless steel or cast iron pans. They tend to get stuck to the surface of the pan, causing omeletes or fried eggs to fall apart. To keep the eggs from sticking, you often have to use large amounts of butter.
Non stick pans have a coating that prevents eggs from sticking to the surface. This makes it easier to cook eggs, no matter how you like them. Omeletes will be easier to flip, fried eggs won’t break, and scrambled eggs won’t get stuck to the pan.
8. Non stick pans are great for inexperienced cooks. Although there are benefits to cooking with stainless steel and cast iron pans, they come with a small margin of error. If you cook food just a few seconds too long, it can burn and stick to the pan.
Non stick pans are one of the best cookware options for inexperienced cooks who are learning how to properly time their dishes. They are forgiving, and won’t burn food if you leave it on for a bit too long.
9. Non stick pans keep breaded foods from falling apart. Breaded food tends to stick to the surface of pans, causing the outer layer to crumble and fall apart as you turn the food. When the bread layer falls off, it may also start to burn, affecting the taste of the dish.
Non stick pans have a coating that prevents bread from sticking to the surface. This makes it easier to flip food without destroying the outer layer.
For example, you’ll be able to cook breaded chicken breast without the coating peeling off. You can also use non stick pans to fry foods with a bread coating, without worrying about the food getting stuck to the surface.
10. Non stick pans evenly distribute heat. Some pans have hot spots, which prevents food from cooking evenly. This can result in dishes where some parts are undercooked, and others burnt. Non stick pans have a coating that helps evenly distribute heat. This ensures that every part of the food cooks at the same rate, helping preserve texture in the final dish.
11. Non stick pans are portable. In addition to saving time and money, non stick pans are also considerably lighter than many other types of cookware. This makes it easier to move pots around on the stovetop and lowers the risk of you dropping a pan as you lift it.
12. Non stick pans can lower cholesterol. Non stick pans let you cook with less fat, which means meals will have fewer calories. In addition to the benefits of weight loss, you may also be able to improve cholesterol.
Lower consumption of saturated fats such as butter has been shown to lower cholesterol levels, which can help protect your heart and improve circulatory health.
13. Non stick pans are low maintenance. Expensive steel and copper pans can be a headache to keep clean. The surface gets covered in food, which can take minutes to scrub off. Copper pans can rust if they are left in the sink, and the surface will wear out if you put them in the dishwasher.
Non stick pans are one of the most low maintenance types of cookware. They require little cleaning, as food won’t stick to the surface. All you have to do is quickly wipe them off with a towel, and you’ll be done the cleaning. Furthermore, many non stick pans are dishwasher safe, so you won’t have to wash them by hand like cookware made out of copper. They also won’t rust if you leave them in the sink overnight.
14. Non stick pans can perfectly cook fish. It can be difficult to cook fish on a stove. Many types of fish will stick to the pan, ripping apart when you try to flip them. The fish might also get tough, and the outer layer often burns. Non stick pans are one of the best types of cookware for fish. The coating prevents the fish from sticking when you flip, preventing it from falling apart.
They are also less likely to burn the outer layer of the fish, helping preserve texture. This makes them a great option for delicate types of fish that are easy to overcook, such as salmon.
15. Non stick pans can help you lose weight faster. One of the main advantages of using non stick pans is that they allow you to cook with less fat. Since you won’t need cooking oil to prevent food from sticking, you can eat lower calories meals without cutting any food out of your diet.
A few tablespoons of butter has hundreds of calories. If you add this up over the course of three meals per day, you could be eating well over 500 calories of fat just for the sake of keeping food from sticking. By using a non stick pan, you’ll be able to significantly reduce your daily calorie intake, making it easier to lose weight quickly.
1. The non stick coating may bleed into the food being cooked. The non stick coating on pans may start to melt or bubble if you expose it to high temperatures without any food in the pan. Never leave a non stick pan on the burner without food for long periods. If the coating begins to dissolve from high heat, chemicals could bleed into food.
2. Non stick pans may create dangerous fumes. High temperatures could also lead to dangerous fumes, which can be harmful to your lungs and cause a range of respiratory problems. Many non stick coatings will peel if you scrape the surface with metal cooking utensils. Use utensils made of softer materials to avoid damaging the coating. You should not use non stick pans for broiling, as the high temperatures could lead to dangerous fumes.
3. Non stick pans may not be the best for some cooking methods. Although they can be used for browning, they might not form as crisp of an outer layers as stainless steel pans. Deglazing may also not be as effective with non stick pans. If you plan on deglazing after browning a dish, you should use a stainless steel pan instead.
4. Non stick pans may not last very long. Lower quality non stick pans are much more likely to wear out quickly, and the coating could be dangerous as it starts to peel off or melts while cooking at high temperatures (1).
If you notice that your non stick surface is beginning to rip, you should replace the pan to prevent any dangerous chemicals from bleeding into your food. You can still use a non stick pan if there are a few small scratchers. However, pay attention to the surface and make sure it doesn’t begin to peel.
Because the pans have non stick coatings, you won’t need as much cooking fat. Use about half of what you would normally use with a normal pan. If your non stick pan has a plastic or silicone handle, it should not be put in the oven. Check the manufacturer recommendation before using your pan in the oven.
Non stick pans that are oven safe should still not be used for broiling, as the extreme temperatures can melt the coating and produce dangerous fumes (2).
Do not use metal utensils with non stick pans, as they can scrape the coating, making it less effective and possibly dangerous.
Many non stick pans are dishwasher safe. However, some are not, and the coating will wear out quickly if the pan is put in the dishwasher. You may need to run a lower temperature cycle to protect the surface of the pans.
If you wash a non stick pan by hand, don’t use a metal scour pad, as this can destroy the coating. Use a soft sponge and mild dish soap to clean off the surface.
Non stick pans are safe, provided that you don’t heat up the surface to extreme temperatures. The maximum temperature will vary by pan, but in general you should not heat non stick pans above 500 degrees Fahrenheit.
There is a benefit to investing in high quality non stick pans, as the coating is much less likely to wear out over time. Cheap pans can start to peel quickly, which can cause chemicals to bleed into food when you cook. If you notice that the coating on a non stick pan is beginning to wear out, you should replace it to lower the risk of exposure to chemicals.
Are non stick pans safe? Yes. It is often said that non stick pans made with Teflon are not safe. However, there are few safety risks associated with non stick pans if they are used properly. Although safe when used within the recommended temperature range, there are safety risks if non stick pans get too hot. Don’t leave pans out on the stove without anything inside, as this can cause the non stick surface to overheat.
Can you put non stick pans in the oven? It depends on the pan. Many non stick pans can be safety used in the oven, provided that they don’t have any plastic or other flammable materials on the handle.
Most manufacturers will say on the package or on the bottom of the pan if it can be safely used in the oven.
Although many non stick pans are safe for use in the oven, you should avoid using the for broiling. The extreme temperatures could cause the non stick coating to melt, which can contaminate your food with harmful chemicals.
Will non stick coatings wear off? Yes, although most non stick pans are designed to last for years if they are cared for properly. You should also avoid high temperature or any metal tools that scratch the surface, as these could wear out the coating.
Can you put non stick pans in the dishwater? In most cases, yes. Non stick pans usually have coatings that are dishwasher safe, and won’t wear out from repeated washing. However, you should still check the manufacturer’s recommendations for cleaning before putting the pan in the dishwasher. Some non stick coatings will wear out if you put them in the dishwasher, and should always be washed by hand.
Can non stick pans be used to brown food? Yes. Non stick pans can be used for just about every type of cooking, from searing to browning. The non stick surface is designed to hold up under high temperatures, so you should have few issues if you turn the burner up to brown food.
Should a non stick pan be thrown away when it starts to peel? Yes. If you notice that the coating on a non stick pan is starting to peel off, you should replace the pan. The non stick coating may start to bleed into food, which can affect the taste and may be dangerous for your health.
If you notice a few minor scratches on the surface, it should still be safe to use. Just monitor them to make sure that the surface isn’t peeling any further.
Do non-stick pans react with acidic food? Non stick pans don’t react to acidic foods, which can prevent a metallic taste in your food. This makes them better than stainless steel pans for cooking dishes with tomatoes.
Are there any types of cooking you shouldn’t do with non stick pans? Non stick cooking can be used for just about every type of cooking. However, it’s not the best option for some types of dishes. Non stick pans aren’t always great for browning, as they don’t form a crisp outer layer on food. They may also not work well for deglazing.
Furthermore, you should not use non stick pans for broiling. The high temperatures can cause the coating of the pan to melt, which can cause chemicals to bleed into food.
What type of kitchen utensils should you use with a non stick pan? In general, you should use utensils that aren’t made of metal. These can scratch the non stick coating of the pan, causing it to wear out quickly. Try to use plastic or silicone utensils with a non stick pan. You should also use a soft sponge instead of a metal scour pad to protect the coating.
How should you clean non stick pans? The easiest way to clean non stick pans is to use a soft sponge or towel and a mild dish soap. Rinse off the surface and the pan should be completely clean.
Avoid using metal scour pads while cleaning non stick pans. These can harm the surface of the pan, and cause it to peel off. If food burns and gets stuck to the surface, soak the pan in warm water and soap until the scrapes begin to loosen. Then, use a sponge to clean off the pan.
Do non stick pans save time? Yes, non stick pans can save time, by making clean up much easier.
Do non stick pans make cooking easy? Yes, non stick pans often make cooking easier by preventing food from sticking to your pans or burning.
Are non stick pans bad for you? No, in fact non stick pans are safe if used properly. There is little risk of food contamination or dangerous fumes from non stick coatings, as long as you use nothing higher than medium heat for cooking.
Are non stick pans cost effective? Yes, non stick pans can you help save money since they are made from aluminum, which is a lot cheaper than stainless steel and copper pans.
Do non stick pans react with acid? No, non stick pans won’t react to acids, preserving the flavor of dishes and preventing any unwanted metallic taste.
Are non stick pans good for weight loss? Yes, non stick pans help cut down on fats, making them ideal for weight loss and weight management. Fat can help prevent dishes from burning, but adds a significant number of calories to each meal. The coating found in non stick pans prevents food from sticking with small to no cooking oil, saving a ton of calories. In addition to the benefits of weight loss, you may also be able to improve cholesterol.
Do non stick pans work well for making eggs? Yes, non stick pans have a coating that prevents eggs from sticking to the surface, making them easier to cook.
Are non stick pans safe to use with beginner chefs? Yes, in fact non stick pans are the go to choice for new chefs as they are more forgiving than cast iron, and won’t burn food if you leave it on for a bit too long.
Do non stick pans work well with breaded food? Yes, because of the non stick coating, non stick pans can cook breaded food well, keeping it together and not stuck to the surface.
Do non stick pans disturb heat evenly? Yes, non stick pans are well known for providing and even distribution of heat. This ensures that every part of the food cooks at the same rate, helping preserve texture in the final dish.
Are non stick pans portable? Yes, because they are lightweight, they tend to be more portable than other types of cookware.
Are non stick pans difficult to maintain? No, in fact, on stick pans are quite low maintenance since they are very easy to clean. Most of the time they are also dishwasher safe, making them even less of a hassle. They also won’t rust if you leave them in the sink overnight.
Does the coating of non stick pans leech into food? As long as you don’t use very high temperatures when cooking, there should be no issue of your food being contaminated with non stick coating.
Non stick pans have a coating that prevents food from clinging to the surface. This can prevent burning, as well as keep food from falling apart when you flip it. Although not quite as durable as stainless steel, high quality non stick pans can last for years if cared for properly.
Furthermore, non stick pans are often better at distributing heat than other types of pans. This can help evenly cook food, preserving texture and preventing overcooking. Non stick pans are also one of the best options for inexperienced cooks. They are more forgiving, as food is likely to burn or stick to the pan.
Try to avoid heating non stick pans above 500 degrees Fahrenheit, as this can cause the coating to melt, emitting dangerous fumes. You should also avoid using metal utensils with non stick pans, as they can wear out the coating.
For Healthtrends #1 recommended non-stick pan, click here.