Long used for its reported anxiety-reducing effects, CBD oil has been the subject of many recent studies, which have confirmed its efficacy as a treatment for a wide range of anxiety disorders. CBD oil is derived from hemp, a type of cannabis plant that shares many properties with marijuana.
CBD oil has been shown to be effective for panic disorder, PTSD, social anxiety, generalized anxiety, and OCD. Furthermore, research indicates that CBD oil is effective for improving sleep. Many people with anxiety disorders are sleep deprived, further worsening symptoms. CBD oil can increase sleep, reducing the severity of anxiety.
Top 10 CBD Oils for Anxiety
1. TOPNaturePlus Hemp Oil
TOPNaturePlus hemp oil, which comes in a big bottle of 350,000 mcg, is perfect for pain relief and anxiety relief.
It’s also ideal for helping you go to sleep, especially as it’s packed with several key fatty acids that can boost your mood and brain health. For these reasons, it’s our #1 pick.
2. Nature’s Beneficials Organic Hemp Oil
Nature’s Beneficials pure organic hemp oil extract provides excellent pain relief and anxiety relief. It’s particularly well suited when it comes to joint (i.e., ankles, knees, elbows) support and as a sleep aid, but it can also provide anti-inflammatory effects.
Furthermore, it comes with a dropper cap that’s one of the best we’ve seen.
3. Doctor Hemp Oil
Doctor hemp oil bottle is affordable and 100% natural, made from Colorado-grown hemp for added health benefits.
The organic hemp oil extract only requires a single serving per day for a user to take advantage of its myriad benefits.
4. Mix Rx Hemp Oil 2-Pack
This is a two-pack of hemp oil bottles for a meager asking price. Despite this, Mix Rx hemp oil is made with excellent quality in mind.
It uses an enriched hemp extract to provide your body with several benefits, like chronic pain relief and anxiety relief.
5. Hemp King Hemp Oil Drops
This 100% natural hemp oil extract is one of the best antianxiety and anti stressor supplements around.
Hemp King uses a CO2 extraction method that preserves the quality of the hemp oil and allows it to keep the majority of its natural organic ingredients as opposed to other extraction methods.
6. Owe Uself Hemp Oil 2-Pack
Owe Uself is another two-pack of hemp oil with an added peppermint flavor. Aside from this, the other ingredients are all-natural and organic.
This allows it to help with both surface level and interior problems, like skin irritation and anxiety, in equal measure.
7. Wisehelp Hemp Oil Drops
Wisehelp oil drops come in a bottle that contains 250,000 mcg, providing you with plenty of oil for an affordable asking price.
It’s also formulated with a mint flavor for added variety. It’s one of the best oils for fast absorption and anxiety or stress relief.
8. Afxmate 2-Pack Hemp Oil
Afxmate two-pack of hemp oil extract comes with 9000 mg in total. Each drop is 100% natural hemp oil and is rich in both vitamins and Omega fatty acids.
This provides you with plenty of health benefits and anxiety relief.
9. Lithic Nutrition 2-Pack Hemp Oil
This is another two-pack of organic hemp oil that’s formulated for pain relief and anxiety relief at the same time.
Lithic Nutrition oil is extracted using a CO2-based method to help the hemp, which is Colorado grown, maintain its medicinal effects and nutritional quality.
10. Nutrihemp Oil Drops
Nutrihemp hemp oil drops are CO2 extracted and utilize only natural ingredients, along with several essential fatty acids and other nutrients.
The result is a holistic supplement that provides several benefits both for your mind and your body.
How We Ranked
When ranking the best CBD oil for anxiety, we first looked at the THC content. Products that contain more than 0.3% THC were immediately axed. You won’t find Wise Hemp on our list because of this. Despite some leniency, we still preferred products like NutriHemp and Hemp King, that was 100% free of THC. We also looked for additives and fillers, and ranked products, like Doctor Hemp Oil, well for minimizing those impurities.
Extraction was next on our list. The best type of extraction to maintain purity was CO2 extraction. Any product not using this method was frowned upon and either eliminated or ranked extremely low.
Next, we looked at the delivery system. For this ranking, we prefer pure oil products over creams and gummies. This was done to maximize the potency of the product while eliminating any unnecessary fillers or additives. It is also unclear how well CBD oil is absorbed through the skin, which is we opted out of popular creams and lotions.
The packaging was important here to consider. Since CBD oil is sensitive to light oxidation, companies that used dark bottles, like Nature’s Beneficials, were rewarded. Plastic bottles were not included on our list as there are reports showing that it may leech into the CBD oil, altering the efficacy and absorption of the product. Airtight seals are also very important to protect the purity and shelf-life.
Lastly, we looked at purity certifications. The CBD industry is well known to have a ton of snake oil salesmen, which is why we looked for companies that used third panty testing to prove the purity of their product.
1. CBD oil for anxiety can lower stress. CBD oil has been reported by many users to regulate mood and lower levels of stress. Research has indicated that CBD oil is effective for these uses.
CBD oil has been shown to lower stress in lab studies. Animals given the oil had lower levels of anxious behaviors, as well as a lower heart rate (1).
Other studies in humans have shown that CBD oil is effective for reducing overall levels of anxiety, leading to improved mood and less stress.
It also has fewer side effects than standard medication therapies for anxiety, making it a safer way of reducing symptom severity.
2. CBD oil for anxiety can elevate mood and help people with depression. Depression is often seen alongside anxiety, and the two disorders often worsen each other. Research has shown that CBD oil may be an effective natural treatment for depression, boosting mood, and lowering levels of anxiety.
Lab studies have shown that CBD oil has antidepressant effects, as well as increasing activity and fear (2).
The antidepressant effects of CBD oil are still not fully understood, and more studies are needed to see if it’s an effective primary treatment option. However, CBD oil may be useful in depression, especially when used in combination with standard therapies.
3. CBD oil for anxiety may benefit people with PTSD. PTSD is a condition that can increase anxiety, disturb sleep, and make it difficult to carry out day to day tasks. Studies have shown that CBD oil is effective for reducing anxiety, potentially making it a useful treatment for those with PTSD.
Other studies have used CBD oil to treat PTSD directly, showing that it’s effective for reducing symptom severity. (3).
Research has also shown that CBD oil can help with fear extinction, meaning it stops you from associating specific places with anxiety. This can be useful for those with PTSD, who are often afraid of visiting certain areas due to heightened levels of anxiety.
CBD oil can also improve sleep, another way in which it can benefit those with PTSD (4).
Many people with PTSD have night terrors and frequent sleep disturbances, which increases anxiety levels. CBD oil can make it easier to fall asleep and reduces the frequency of sleep disturbances.
It also has fewer side effects than many of the standard medications used to manage PTSD, making it a safe alternative to traditional therapies.
4. CBD oil for anxiety can lower the fear of public speaking. CBD oil has also been shown to be effective for reducing social anxiety, increasing comfort in public areas, and reducing nerves before public speaking.
One study looked at the effects of CBD oil on people while giving speeches in public. Participants were given 600 mg of CBD oil and then asked to rate their mood and subjective feelings of well being. Researchers also measured their heart rate and perspiration (5).
The participants who were given CBD oil showed lower levels of anxiety, as well as a lower heart rate and lower levels of perspiration than participants who were given a placebo treatment. They reported few side effects, with CBD oil being well tolerated.
5. CBD oil for anxiety may help people with obsessive-compulsive disorder. Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) is a common mental disorder that causes repeated actions and rituals, as well as high levels of anxiety. Although there is little research on the direct effects of CBD in this disorder, CBD oil may be useful for reducing anxiety in people with OCD.
One study looking at the effects of CBD oil on anxiety disorders found that it may be beneficial for people with OCD. In animal studies, CBD oil reduced compulsive behaviors, leading to less anxiety and fewer signs of stress. (6).
This research has only been conducted in animals, so more studies are needed to understand the role of CBD oil in humans with OCD. However, other studies have shown that CBD oil is effective for treating anxiety in humans without any notable side effects, which may make it useful for people with OCD.
6. CBD oil for anxiety reduces anxiety in people with epilepsy. CBD oil has been shown to be effective for reducing seizure frequency in certain types of epilepsy. In addition, it can help treat anxiety associated with fear of seizures, helping people with epilepsy carry out day to day tasks.
7. CBD oil for anxiety can reduce social anxiety. CBD oil has been shown to be effective when used to treat people with a social anxiety disorder.
Participants were given CBD oil and asked to report levels of anxiety. Researchers also used brain scans to measure blood flow to different parts of the brain and found that CBD oil reduced the amount of blood going to areas of the brain associated with social anxiety (7).
Participants reported few side effects from CBD and also reported that it boosted their overall mood.
8. CBD oil for anxiety may improve sleep in children with trauma disorder. Many children who have experienced traumatic events have trouble sleeping, leading to worsened anxiety.
A study looked at the effects of CBD oil on children with trauma disorder. Researchers found that sleep quality improved over the course of 5 months of treatment, and that anxiety also decreased significantly.
9. CBD oil for anxiety can improve general anxiety. General anxiety disorder is a condition where people feel anxious without any obvious environmental trigger. This can lead to avoidance, making it difficult to carry out many day to day tasks. It can also impair performance at work, as well as put strain on interpersonal relationships.
Research has shown that CBD oil is effective for reducing symptom severity in people with general anxiety, improving the overall quality of life (8).
10. CBD Oil for anxiety can be safer than standard anti-anxiety medications while having fewer side effects. There’s a wide range of medications used to treat anxiety. However, many of these medications, including benzodiazepines, have severe side effects and can be fatal when taken in high doses (9).
There are few side effects reported with routine use of CBD oil. The symptoms that people notice tend to be mild, including some fatigue and lethargy, as well as stomach pain. This makes CBD oil a safer alternative for treating anxiety than many traditional therapies (10).
11. CBD oil for anxiety works better than many anxiety therapies. There are multiple medications and therapies that have been proven effective for treating anxiety disorders, including selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) and cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT). However, these treatments can take weeks to show results, with many SSRIs not showing any benefit for up to 8 weeks.
Research has shown that CBD oil works faster than SSRIs and CBT, giving anxiety relieve within half an hour. This makes CBD one of the best therapies for short term treatment of anxiety disorders. CBD oil also has fewer reported side effects than SSRIs, making them a safe, natural alternative to standard treatment options (11).
1. For some users, CBD oil for anxiety may cause fatigue and lethargy, as well as digestive discomfort (12).
2. CBD oil for anxiety can cause IBS like symptoms. This can include stomach pain, diarrhea, and vomiting. It can also cause changes in appetite.
3. CBD oil for anxiety may also cause dizziness, nausea, and headaches. Some users report that it changes their mood by blunting emotion. Although rare, it can also increase anxiety in some cases.
4. Women who are pregnant or breastfeeding should avoid CBD oil for anxiety, as there is little research on its effects on women and children. Some studies have shown that CBD oil can increase the permeability of the placenta, meaning more substances from the mother’s body can reach the baby. This puts the baby at greater risk from toxins circulating in the mother’s blood (13).
5. CBD oil for anxiety may be bad for epilepsy in certain children. CBD oil is often used to treat epilepsy, and research has shown that it can be effective. However, studies have shown that CBD oil can actually worsen seizures for children with a certain type of refractory epilepsy. If you are planning on using CBD oil to treat epilepsy, you should consult a doctor first.
6. CBD oil for anxiety may interact poorly with certain medications. If you are taking any other pain medication, speak to your doctor before using CBD oil. Although it’s unlikely that CBD oil will interact directly with other medications, the combination increase fatigue, making it dangerous to drive.
7. CBD use may correspond with higher rates of infection. Because CBD changes the body’s chemistry in ways that are not yet fully understood, it may be that individuals already prone to certain types of infection are more at risk when under the effects of CBD oil. Therefore, immunocompromised individuals may wish to avoid this particular anxiety remedy.
A 2019 review of available literature found that nearly ½ of CBD users in various experiments experienced associated adverse drug events or ADEs. These involved side effects like sedation and sleep disturbances, but also included infections (14).
8. While CBD oil can be helpful for most individuals when it comes to sleep, relaxation, or anxiety alleviation, a few individuals have opposite effects and experience sleep disorder or discomfort. This means that an individual doesn’t know how they’ll react to CBD oil until they try it, which presents an inherent risk in the therapy that some may want to avoid.
A 2019 retrospective case series at a psychiatric clinic involving 103 adult patients found that three of the patients had a low tolerance for CBD oil and experienced adverse sleep-related side effects. While this is indeed a low number, it is a potential side effect for some (15).
9. CBD can cause anemia because of certain side effects it house with your blood chemistry. Specifically, CB oil can increase the level of a blood-thinning compound called coumadin, as well as raise the levels of other medications that can exacerbate this effect. This can make certain wounds or conditions more dangerous than they normally would be (16).
10. CBD oil can be awful for animals if they ever get into it. Many people have pets that tend to get into various food or drink stores. If an animal were ever to consume CBD oil, this could lead to several terrible side effects, including developmental toxicity, central nervous system inhibition and neurotoxicity, organ weight alterations, hypotension, and male reproductive system alterations.
A 2019 review of relevant studies reporting CBD drug effects found that many animals that consumed large doses of CBD oil had the above negative side effects. Thus, any CBD oil users will need to be sure that their oil is kept far away from where their pets can reach it accidentally (17).
The recommended dose will vary widely depending on the specific CBD product, as concentrations are often different.
One study that examined the role of CBD oil in social anxiety used a dose of 600 mg, given a few hours before public speaking (18).
Other studies have used doses higher than 600 mg without any reported major side effects, and there appears to be little safety risk associated with high doses of CBD oil.
CBD oil can be taken daily or as needed. If you are using it before an acutely stressful event, such as public speaking, take it at least an hour beforehand so that you feel the effects.
When beginning use of CBD oil, start with a low dose to see how your body responds. Many users experience fatigue and tiredness as their body adjusts to CBD oil. Avoid taking CBD oil for the first time before driving, as it can impair motor skills and attention.
CBD oil has been known to cause some mild gastrointestinal side effects. To reduce the chances of stomach pain or other digestive side effects, take CBD oil with food.
Does CBD oil for anxiety actually help anxiety? Yes, cannabidiol can actually help anxiety. It also helps reduce the symptoms associated with a wide range of psychological conditions and brain disorders.
Is CBD oil for anxiety legal? The legal status of CBD oil may vary slightly depending on the state. It’s legal in most areas, provided that the THC content is below a certain level.
However, certain states are strict with enforcement and may ban the sale of CBD oil. Although rare, some states may also confiscate or make arrests for possession of CBD oil. You should check the legal status in your area before buying.
Can you take CBD oil for anxiety if you have heart problems? Yes, recent research even shows CBD is linked with several benefits for the heart and circulatory system, including the ability to lower high blood pressure.
How long does it take CBD oil for anxiety to leave your system? Preliminary research shows that it takes about three to four days for CBD to completely leave your body and be out of your system.
Will marijuana have the same effects as CBD oil for anxiety? CBD has a similar structure to THC, the main psychoactive component in marijuana. Although both CBD and THC can produce similar therapeutic effects for certain medical conditions, they are different.
If you use marijuana in place of CBD, you may be able to treat some types of anxiety. However, the psychoactive compounds in marijuana can worsen anxiety for many people. Since CBD does not produce a “high” feeling, it’s unlikely to worsen anxiety.
Is CBD oil for anxiety safe when used long term? There is little research on the safety of long term CBD oil use. Studies have usually only focused on periods of a few months to half a year, so more research is needed to understand how CBD oil use can affect the body after years of use.
If you plan on using CBD oil to treat a specific medical condition such as epilepsy long term, speak to your doctor first. They can change your treatment plan accordingly and ensure that your other medications do not interact with CBD oil.
Can CBD oil for anxiety be used in food? Yes, CBD oil can be added to a wide range of recipes. However, it should never be used as a substitute for cooking oils.
Will CBD oil for anxiety make me paranoid? Most patients with anxiety disorders feel paranoid when using THC but feel relaxed when using CBD. This is because THC is responsible for the psychoactive effect of marijuana. Without it, a person is free to experience the calming benefits of CBD.
Does CBD oil for anxiety help inflammation? Studies have shown that CBD may help reduce chronic pain by impacting endocannabinoid receptor activity, reducing inflammation, and interacting with neurotransmitters.
Can you get high off CBD oil for anxiety? Cannabidiol (CBD) is naturally non-intoxicating. You may feel calmer when taking it as CBD’s effects are more relaxing instead of a high feeling. Not only will CBD not get you high, but it actually counteracts the high effects of THC, which is the compound notorious for getting people high.
How long will it take CBD oil for anxiety to work? Unlike some standard anxiety medications, CBD oil can work quickly to relieve symptoms and lower anxiety. You may feel the effects as soon as 30 minutes after taking it, although it may take a few hours for them to reach their peak.
It’s still unclear whether long term use of CBD oil increases its efficacy, or if the only benefits come from use as needed for anxiety.
Does CBD oil for anxiety make you hungry? Marijuana causes an increase in appetite because of its high concentration of THC. CBD does not cause the same increase in appetite as THC because it does not bind directly at the CB1 receptor
Can you overdose on CBD oil for anxiety? It’s not recommended that you take large doses of CBD oil, as you may experience unwanted side effects such as. However, large amounts of CBD oil will not cause you to overdose and do not lead to any life-threatening side effects.
When should you take CBD oil for anxiety? CBD oil can be taken at any time of day. However, it may cause some fatigue and lethargy, especially as your body adjusts. If you are taking it during the day, start with a low dose to see how your body responds.
CBD oil has been shown to be effective for many sleep conditions. For sleep, take at least an hour before you plan on going to bed.
How is CBD oil for anxiety taken? Most CBD oil products come with droppers and are taken by placing a few drops under the tongue. You then wait around a minute before swallowing, allowing the oil to absorb in your mouth.
There are also many products, such as drinks and foods, that have CBD oil infused in them. These will still be effective, but make sure to check the dose before taking them.
Is CBD oil for anxiety good for your liver? CBD may have therapeutic potential in the treatment of alcoholic liver diseases associated with inflammation, oxidative stress, and steatosis – which deserves exploration in human trials.
Can CBD oil for anxiety make you very tired? No, you’re not going to experience the intense sedating “couch-lock” effect from hemp-derived CBD oil like you might from marijuana.
Is CBD hard on the body for new users? CBD oil is well tolerated, with few reports of major side effects. It can cause fatigue and lethargy, especially during the first few days of use, as well as stomach pain and diarrhea. CBD oil is legal in most states. However, there are some areas where the legal status is not certain, and there have been rare cases of confiscation. Check the current regulations in your state before buying.
Does CBD oil for anxiety raise blood pressure? No, it actually does the opposite. CBD oil has been shown to cause a modest drop in blood pressure in people taking high doses.
Does CBD for anxiety thin your blood? CBD can increase the level in your blood of the blood thinner Coumadin, and it can raise levels of certain other medications in your blood by the exact same mechanism that grapefruit juice does.
Does CBD oil for anxiety give you energy? Studies have shown that CBD can increase energy levels. An increasing number of people that includes athletes are incorporating CBD drops in their regimen for this reason. CBD is able to give energy levels a boost by strengthening body cells that are responsible for making you feel sleepy and sluggish.
What distinguishes different CBD oil qualities? High-quality CBD oil is safe, effective, and has the right amount of cannabinoids without excessive heavy metals or other chemicals. Lower quality CBD oil may have other metals or chemicals in its formula, which may come with additional side effects and which is not recommended under any circumstances.
Note that this is distinct from medical grade CBD oil, which is used specifically for therapeutic properties under supervised conditions. High-quality CBD oil will be produced from organic hemp plants, extracted using safe methods, and tested and verified by labs.
CBD oil is a supplement derived from hemp and shares many characteristics with marijuana. However, it does not have any psychoactive components and generally has fewer side effects. Research has shown that it’s effective for many different anxiety disorders, including generalized anxiety, panic disorder, social anxiety, and PTSD.
Studies have shown that the use of CBD oil can reduce the fear of public speaking. It can also help people with PTSD, making them less afraid of anxiety-provoking places (19, 20). Research has indicated that CBD oil is useful for improving sleep quality, which can help reduce symptom severity in a wide range of different anxiety disorders (21).
CBD oil is generally considered safe, and there are few major side effects associated with routine use. However, it can cause fatigue and lethargy, especially as your body adjusts to higher doses. It may also cause gastrointestinal problems for some users, including stomach pain and diarrhea.
Although CBD oil is legal in most states, you should check its legality in your area before buying. Some states may ban the possession, and there have been some reports of arrests made for possession in Ohio. However, most CBD products are considered legal and carry little risk from routine use.
For Healthtrends #1 recommended CBD Oil for Anxiety, click here.